BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2005, e46, nav, assist, sirius.

Will any cd changer work with my 330i or is there something special about the bmw 6-disk changer?

·
Registered
52 Posts
There are literally dozens of threads on this topic already. Do a search for CD CHANGER and e46. The short answer to your question is your choices are limited due to the CD Changer interface on he BMW OEM HU. You'll probably want to get the Alpine MP3/CD Changer rather than the OEM Changer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If your going to go with an Alpine changer, then I would recommend a Blitzsafe interface. You can even have the changer and a seperate audio input for your MP3 player. I would recommend checking the connections in the trunk, and check and see if you have a 3 pin and 6 pin, or a 3 pin and coaxial. The latter requires a DSP interface from Blitzsafe.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
MaxxedOutMotors said:
If your going to go with an Alpine changer, then I would recommend a Blitzsafe interface. You can even have the changer and a seperate audio input for your MP3 player. I would recommend checking the connections in the trunk, and check and see if you have a 3 pin and 6 pin, or a 3 pin and coaxial. The latter requires a DSP interface from Blitzsafe.
No DSP on E46's.

Going the Alpine route is cheaper than OEM and you have the option of doing MP3.:thumbup:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In this thread it is noted that if you HAVE nav, things are a bit different.

How are you guys figuring out what parts you need?

#750 (see sig for car specs)

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
Another option is to use a PhatBox mp3 player. Thaat's what I did and I have all my CDs on tap instead of just 6 of them. Kinda pricey though unless you find one on eBay or some such.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
52 Posts
trikerider said:
In this thread it is noted that if you HAVE nav, things are a bit different.

How are you guys figuring out what parts you need?

#750 (see sig for car specs)
Since I was the original poster :p let me answer for you. The only change is in the AUX input option. Here is the part you need if you have NAV and want AUX input. Everything else in my post should work with or without NAV.

Auxiliary Audio Input 82-11-0-149-391 3 Series with navigation $31.65

For more info on parts visit www.PacificBMW.Com and on the aftermarket audio stuff check out www.logjamelectronics.com

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob Clevenger said:
Another option is to use a PhatBox mp3 player. Thaat's what I did and I have all my CDs on tap instead of just 6 of them. Kinda pricey though unless you find one on eBay or some such.

Just a thought.
Yeah - I thought about the phatbox long and hard. In fact I still may do that ALSO. But when we take long trips (6 to 8 hours one way) we like to listen to audio books on CD that we pick up from the local library. The problem is that in my 330i you can only play about 3 CD's in a row before the CD player stops working. I've done a bit of searching on this forum and it appears to be a known problem caused by the CD player getting too hot. And then it seems to take about 2 hours to cool down enough that it will allow me to play another CD. So - the obvious solution seems to be to get a disk changer so that the CD player in the cockpit doesn't overheat.

I'm not really interested in doing this myself BTW so I'm wondering if it would be easier to just go with BMW's cd changer so that my local service department takes care of it for me. (Do you think they'd install stuff that I didn't buy from them?)

Having the ability to play mp3 cd's would be cool but to be honest - it would require a little too much proactive content management on my part and I'd have to purchase everything I listen to. And since cd changer is probably going to be used mostly for audio books on cd that we check out from the library - we'll likely never use the mp3 cd feature. And finally, for music I actually like the random unknown of Sirius and I tend to switch channels a great deal to keep the genre and unknown mixed up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts