BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

CD changer whine

1101 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  LDV330i
I have an '03 e46 with the Business CD. I installed an Alpine CD changer with a Blitzsafe adapter, then later an XM Direct kit (again with a Blitz adapter) and topped it off later with a gadget called iWindows, which plugged in thru the same bus and makes the windows/roof one touch up and down with the key. The last thing added was the iWindows, and that was 6 months ago.

The other day I heard a whining noise thru the speakers that changed pitch according to engine RPM. It is only heard when I use the CD changer -- no whine is heard when listening to the radio, XM or the indash CD. I suspect that either the changer or adapter has developed a problem.

Has anyone had this experience, and what is recommended? Thanks.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I have just noticed the same problem in the past 2 weeks. I thought it was maybe because of my XM Direct but had not noticed it because I have not been using the CD changer. Based on my experience it does not sound like it is the iWindows. I was thinking maybe there is a loose connection so I was thinking of reconnecting everything this weekend. I think what I will do is disconnect the XM for a while and see if that has any effect.
Mark_325i said:
I have an '03 e46 with the Business CD. I installed an Alpine CD changer with a Blitzsafe adapter, then later an XM Direct kit (again with a Blitz adapter) and topped it off later with a gadget called iWindows, which plugged in thru the same bus and makes the windows/roof one touch up and down with the key. The last thing added was the iWindows, and that was 6 months ago.

The other day I heard a whining noise thru the speakers that changed pitch according to engine RPM. It is only heard when I use the CD changer -- no whine is heard when listening to the radio, XM or the indash CD. I suspect that either the changer or adapter has developed a problem.

Has anyone had this experience, and what is recommended? Thanks.
I finally got into my trunk last weekend. Checked all the connections and started the car and the whine was gone when playing the MP3 changer. Later that day I drive the car and the whine was back. :mad:

I have paid a little closer at the noise coming in through the speakers. It is not consistant. Sometimes it is a whine, sometimes it is just crakling noises, sometimes it is not even there. When there is noise it does vary with engine speed. :confused:

I guess the next step is to disconnect the XM radio and associated Blitzafe adapter and see if that is the source of the noise. :dunno:
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.