Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched for the subject "changer removal" And I have looked at the DIY ipod install thread to get a better idea but I want to be sure. I have a tray stuck in the main unit and I want to remove the changer so I can disassemble the head unit and remove the tray. Does the plug wire just pull out or is there some sort of clip I need to press to release the wire harness from the changer? Thanks for your help.

·
Michael
2,211 Posts
socket plug

I think this just pulls out, by pressing the sides, it is not the normal lock ones that you release at an angle, when I did my ipod upgrade it was very very easy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you I'll go try that. I put a mirror back there but still couldn't quite see how its connected. Thanks again. Q

·
Registered
784 Posts
You can pull the unit through the mounting bracket to get at the connectors. Use a hex wrench on both sides the loosen the changer mount screws. They are behind little flip down pieces on the edges.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TxTaz,
Thanks I have it pulled out to where I can reach back and pull on the wire, but it seems stuck in there. Not sure how hard I should pull? Or if I'm missing something. I tried pinching the connector on the sides but it still seems "snapped" in.

·
Michael
2,211 Posts
Ok thank you I'll go try that. I put a mirror back there but still couldn't quite see how its connected. Thanks again. Q
Just to make sure, are you wanting to remove the cd changer? as once it is released via the holding screws, it pulls out enough to see the sockets at the back and to release them. If you are wanting to get at the cable connection from the CD to the centre console connector then you may have to pull out the DVD/CD player to get at that connector. That maybe a lot of work to release, I have done it when I replaced all of my console trim, so I know what it entails.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes just the changer in the glove box, like the pictures in the DIY iPod install. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
784 Posts
TxTaz,
Thanks I have it pulled out to where I can reach back and pull on the wire, but it seems stuck in there. Not sure how hard I should pull? Or if I'm missing something. I tried pinching the connector on the sides but it still seems "snapped" in.
I think the release on the connector is on the long side like the picture below.
This is the fiber connector (Dension)
DSC_0007_resize.jpg

FIber Connector (BMW)
BMWConnector.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duh

I figured it out, the wire harness plugs in from the side. So rather than pulling it directly back it pulls out from the left. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changer is fixed and working great. However I found out something I thought I would pass along. With the changer disconnected I drove down to get some fuel. While driving I noticed I had no volume coming from any media source. The iDrive system also froze up. I reset it by pushing in both the DVD, CD eject buttons and the volume button. iDrive came back and worked but still no volume. I came home reconnected the changer and everything is now working again. I'm not sure this will help anyone but I thought I would pass along what I found. I have seen posts regarding volume issues and although probably not probable I wonder if it could be a loose or faulty cable going into the CD changer. Thanks for all your help.
Q

1 - 10 of 10 Posts