BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder why BMW don't have the indash CD changer, do you have to spend 80k to get it? Most cars have had this for a while now, even 20k cars have it. Don't tell me about BMW just now putting single Cd's in last year. I just wonder why they don't get with it. They are backwards on certain things IMO>
:thumbdwn:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Lotsa cars have extra-tall dash openings for a double-DIN head that has room for a (reliable) changer mech. The NAV looks like a double-DIN height but its really shallow on the bottom half; not enough room for a stacker.

But I agree BMW is WAY behind in this area. CD didn't even become standard till this year.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kaz said:
Lotsa cars have extra-tall dash openings for a double-DIN head that has room for a (reliable) changer mech. The NAV looks like a double-DIN height but its really shallow on the bottom half; not enough room for a stacker.

But I agree BMW is WAY behind in this area. CD didn't even become standard till this year.
Yea I know..it just makes me mad sometimes to think..honda/ acura toyota and many more have this, Im surprised BMW don't still have tape.. :cry:

and then think, BMW has idrive, but no design on 3ers in dash CD changer :dunno:

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
bmw focuses on driving experience

IMHO..i think the BMW engineers spend most of their time thinking of ways to improve the driving experience and not with the creature comforts.

any auto manuf. can put creature comforts into a car, but not many can design a car with the driving experience of a BMW. but i fear as lexus/infiniti encroaches on the BMW market, BMW may fall victim to designing cars with more creature comforts and wane in the handling of the car.

but i do agree with you that an indash CD changer would be good to have. i use the above lines to defend my car when friends comment on how BMW lacks in the creature comforts area. heck even a mazda tribute has 6disc in dash changer.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: bmw focuses on driving experience

ChrisTO said:
IMHO..i think the BMW engineers spend most of their time thinking of ways to improve the driving experience and not with the creature comforts.

any auto manuf. can put creature comforts into a car, but not many can design a car with the driving experience of a BMW. but i fear as lexus/infiniti encroaches on the BMW market, BMW may fall victim to designing cars with more creature comforts and wane in the handling of the car.

but i do agree with you that an indash CD changer would be good to have. i use the above lines to defend my car when friends comment on how BMW lacks in the creature comforts area. heck even a mazda tribute has 6disc in dash changer.
Yes I agree they do spend time on those things, but how much time actually would it take to put this in the 3 series..none at all. I quit standing up for BMW when ppl ask, I just say they are way behind.. IMHO :rolleyes:

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Your question is a good one and I think it comes down to only one thing . . . BMW has not been pushed hard enough yet by the competition where they feel they HAVE to offer it.

It all comes down to $$$ . . . and they probably feel why should they spend the extra money to put another feature into the car when they could keep it as profit . . .

Actually I think they should make Lumbar support standard first before the go and make a Indash cd changer available. How crazy it is that it's not only optional on the 3er but also on the 5 sereis as well . . . this makes no sense :dunno:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Re: bmw focuses on driving experience

ChrisTO said:
I'd have been pretty well inclined to agree with you on this until idrive came along. I have not had the oppotunity to play with it yet but to me it skews so far from improving the driving experience and towards creature comfort it's not even funny. One of the things I love about my 325Ci is how relatively clean and simple the dash is. I see no reason why BMW can not move up to the level of technology of the competition. Hell, if Alpine can put out a single din cd changer why can't BMW?

·
fear the lurker
201 Posts
There's another difference that nobody has mentioned yet. The Acuras and Lexuses (Lexi?) are front wheel drive V6s. I'm pretty sure the i6 drive train eats up a lot of dash space between the driver and the passenger... there might just not be enough room in the current cab design for an in-dash unit.

(just guessing, really)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.