BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been creeping around here for the last two weeks since I sold my 2000 E46 and bought my new to me 2008 328i. Loads of info here!

I just spent 20 minutes removing that silly restrictor on the clutch line. Oh yeah, feels like a real MT now!

But, I noticed during my test drive that the hill assist isn't "assisting." The car rolls as soon as I let off the brake. I don't really need it, but dang. How in the hell can the two be related? :dunno:

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Did you bleed the system?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Did you make sure to hold down the clutch before you let go of the brake?

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
They aren't related, but fdriller9 is right, you will need to bleed the system. I'm sure it's timing related like unrealii mentioned.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I can verify that the CDV delete will not interfere with hill assist. Mine has been in place for 3 years now and just this afternoon had a situation where hill assist kicked in. My guess would be timing.

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
5,887 Posts
I can verify that the CDV delete will not interfere with hill assist. Mine has been in place for 3 years now and just this afternoon had a situation where hill assist kicked in. My guess would be timing.
Seconded. I removed mine sometime last year and can report the same.

OP, note the hill assist won't kick in unless you come to a COMPLETE stop. For example, if I come to almost a dead stop, but then have to creep forward another few feet (#@*%&$ slushbox drivers at stoplights! :mad:), I often notice a slight backward roll when my foot comes off the brake.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I think hill assist may be affected if you don't bleed the brake fluid, which is the same as clutch fluid.

The DSC hydro unit controls start off assist by applying brakes momentarily.

If there is air in the lines, maybe it won't have enough pressure to apply the brakes.

But I would think a BMW would be smart enough to monitor wheel speed and apply more pressure if the car is rolling back.

·
5,887 Posts
I think hill assist may be affected if you don't bleed the brake fluid, which is the same as clutch fluid.
Same fluid & reservoir but independent hydraulic circuits. Air in the clutch line will not affect braking performance, nor will air in any brake line affect clutch operation.

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Same fluid & reservoir but independent hydraulic circuits. Air in the clutch line will not affect braking performance, nor will air in any brake line affect clutch operation.
Removal of the lock valve requires system bleeding regardless.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I have no recollection of the tech bleeding any lines when he did mine. In fact, it literally took him about 4 minutes total time from the time he raised the car on the lift to replacing the panel in the undercarriage. I thought it was nice of the Indy to let me stand in the garage and watch the entire procedure. I do recall I had to pump the clutch a couple of times to get the pressure back in it so some bleeding action had to occur.

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
I have no recollection of the tech bleeding any lines when he did mine. In fact, it literally took him about 4 minutes total time from the time he raised the car on the lift to replacing the panel in the undercarriage. I thought it was nice of the Indy to let me stand in the garage and watch the entire procedure. I do recall I had to pump the clutch a couple of times to get the pressure back in it so some bleeding action had to occur.
But where did the air go? :p

·
5,887 Posts
Removal of the lock valve requires system bleeding regardless.
Bleeding the clutch circuit at the slave cylinder, yes. It is not necessary to bleed any of the brake lines.

·
Found the Search Button
2018 330i F30
1,857 Posts
So I had a chance to borrow my wife's car and take it up to a "hill" (this is South Florida). Another confirmation that it still works without the CDV.

Neat feature I never knew about.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Severely delayed reply here...

Hill assist is working, but I swear it wasn't at first. Or past mushroom experiences were flashing back. :dunno:

Been shifting like butter since the CDV delete. I did bleed the clutch, pedal is just as it was before the delete. Good stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts