BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called a local indy trusted by the BMWCCA Windy City chapter for a CDV replacement job. The technician on phone suggested just the elimination but since the SA's sometimes get picky about it, I asked him for quote on the replacement.

Including Zeckhausen's replacing modified CDV, he quoted me about $200!! Wtf! The actual part is $35 plus shipping and $150+ for labor? Is that a fair assessment?

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
They may be charging you 1 hour labor, plus cost of brake fluid. You do pay for a whole liter even if you use 3oz of it.

I had a shop do my former 530's CDV-ectomy, think I paid $85 total. That was half an hour labor plus the fluid. I supplied the modified CDV.

It's a very easy DIY, but small hands help, and you do need at least a set of ramps to get under there. I'd say their estimate is a bit high, half hour labor at best IMHO.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It takes 30 minutes tops. But given that you'll either need a lift, ramps, or jacks to do the job, the risk of getting your face washed with brake fluid, as well as a second person to bleed the clutch (unless you're using a bleeder), plus the right tools for the job, it seems fair to me.

If you DIY, it'll cost you $50 including the cost of beer you'll buy for that second person.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
I called a local indy trusted by the BMWCCA Windy City chapter for a CDV replacement job. The technician on phone suggested just the elimination but since the SA's sometimes get picky about it, I asked him for quote on the replacement.

Including Zeckhausen's replacing modified CDV, he quoted me about $200!! Wtf! The actual part is $35 plus shipping and $150+ for labor? Is that a fair assessment?
If I were you, I would`nt be concerned about getting a (hollowed-out) replacement unit....your car is already 3+ years old, and the chance of having a clutch-related failure while you`re still under warranty is pretty slim....just yank the old one out and save the $35 (plus shipping). Or, get a friend who`s mechanically inclined, give him the DIY printout and a case of beer, and save a bunch of dough.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a CPO Bob. Not sure if that makes any difference. :dunno:

Jeff, the technician did say 1-hr's labor and brake fluid.... its just that I wasn't expecting it to be this high of an amount.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
Its a CPO Bob. Not sure if that makes any difference. :dunno:

Jeff, the technician did say 1-hr's labor and brake fluid.... its just that I wasn't expecting it to be this high of an amount.
First of all, they could`nt deny your CPO unless they could *prove* that the problem was directly related to the lack of a CDV (and we all know that ain`t EVER gonna happen). Secondly, the burden of proof would be on them to prove that the car ever HAD a CDV in it....it`s a documented fact that quite a few cars have come off the assembly line without them. I would`nt lose any sleep over it....

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I used one jack stand and a few tools. It's super easy, just DIY if you can. I also did it without bleeding the clutch. If you do it right, you will have virtually zero fluid leak out.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
I used one jack stand and a few tools. It's super easy, just DIY if you can. I also did it without bleeding the clutch. If you do it right, you will have virtually zero fluid leak out.
Did you use Vise-Grips and a rag to clamp off the hose?

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
No rag, just vice grips with some tape over the jaws to keep from damaging the hose.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
No rag, just vice grips with some tape over the jaws to keep from damaging the hose.
Smooth.... (Vise-Grips = best tool ever invented :)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Edge Motorsports did it for me while they had my car on the lift for something else. Just took it right off and not a drop of fluid. Took only a few minutes for them. Clutch is much easier to manage now. The price they quoted you is rediculous though-I agree.

Johnny

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I paid around $80~$90 to get that sucker pulled out. I used a dummy piece from Zeckhausen Racing website... all in all an easy transaction and the car felt brand new.
I see you are in Chicagoland. Which indy did you use for this purpose?

·
Registered
17 Posts
After reading this, I was determined to go pull mine out.

Did the early 330i's not have one or what? (2001) because I do not believe I see it...:confused:

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
After reading this, I was determined to go pull mine out.

Did the early 330i's not have one or what? (2001) because I do not believe I see it...:confused:
Read Post #6 in this thread....

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay! Set an appointment with the folks. They insisted that I let them buy the part from Zeckhausen.... I hope there are no downsides to that.

Sigh! another nice dent to the pocket. :(

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Okay! Set an appointment with the folks. They insisted that I let them buy the part from Zeckhausen.... I hope there are no downsides to that.

Sigh! another nice dent to the pocket. :(
they will probably core it, or in the worse case they won't replace it at all. I'd ask for the original CDV that'll come out of your car.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
they will probably core it, or in the worse case they won't replace it at all. I'd ask for the original CDV that'll come out of your car.
Good point sean. Anyways I was going to take my original CDV anyways. What did u mean by "core it"?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts