Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and found some old threads on this, but not a definitive answer as to if there was a fix.

My iPhone 6S. Worked fine until recently. Then it starting dropping calls..........going to radio and going back to the call in about 8 seconds. Additionally, these calls were dropping in locations where they never dropped before.

Yesterday, there were loud cracking or popping noises while on the phone. Loud enough that they hurt my ears a bit.

This morning, I could not make or receive calls. The iDrive would indicate that it is attempting to dial, but then the attempt would stop and the system would go back to radio mode.

Does anyone have information on this problem? :dunno:

·
Steve
341 Posts
I did a search and found some old threads on this, but not a definitive answer as to if there was a fix.

My iPhone 6S. Worked fine until recently. Then it starting dropping calls..........going to radio and going back to the call in about 8 seconds. Additionally, these calls were dropping in locations where they never dropped before.

Yesterday, there were loud cracking or popping noises while on the phone. Loud enough that they hurt my ears a bit.

This morning, I could not make or receive calls. The iDrive would indicate that it is attempting to dial, but then the attempt would stop and the system would go back to radio mode.

Does anyone have information on this problem? :dunno:
I had the first problem with dropping bluetooth and then picking it back up. I didn't have your other issues. I am using a 6s Plus with 9.2 in a 2016 F33 with enhanced bluetooth. Apple will not allow going back a version. However, this trick seems to have solved my issue (for now):

1. Delete phone from iDrive and from bluetooth list on the phone.
2. Hard reboot phone and reboot iDrive (turn car off and on)
3. Pair the phone with iDrive.
4. Go in Settings on the iPhone:
General
Accessibility
Call Audio Routing
Select Bluetooth Headset

So far, this seems to be working. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK, I'm trying to figure out how to do that. I can't figure it out. Crap!!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. Leaving work in a few minutes I'll follow your instructions.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Steve
341 Posts
Do you mean via a visit to the dealer?
Hold on. Two places to address this. Yes, your iDrive should have the latest update. That can be done following the instructions here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/connected_drive_services/mobile_devices/bluetooth_software_update.html

In my case, my iDrive was up-to-date. The BMW Genius at the dealer can help you if you need it (that's what they're there for :) )

The steps in my instructions address some incompatibilities with iOS 9.2, the 6s and the iDrive. Again, the BMW genius should be able to help you with this (or if you have a geek friend).

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
iDrive Menu > Settings > software update
Technic........this didn't allow me to update or go back. Everything was greyed out.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the first problem with dropping bluetooth and then picking it back up. I didn't have your other issues. I am using a 6s Plus with 9.2 in a 2016 F33 with enhanced bluetooth. Apple will not allow going back a version. However, this trick seems to have solved my issue (for now):

1. Delete phone from iDrive and from bluetooth list on the phone.
2. Hard reboot phone and reboot iDrive (turn car off and on)
3. Pair the phone with iDrive.
4. Go in Settings on the iPhone:
General
Accessibility
Call Audio Routing
Select Bluetooth Headset

So far, this seems to be working. :thumbup:
For anyone with the same problem, this too worked or me. At least for now.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
2015 328x
1,653 Posts
Do you mean via a visit to the dealer?
You can go to http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/connected_drive_services/mobile_devices/bluetooth_software_update.html and it will ask for Las digits of Vin. It will then advise if you need update or are already up to date. It will allow you to download to flashy drive and instruct on how to complete.
Mine is a 2015 picked up in June I think and according to my vin I should update. But I have no issues so I won't. I use droid though. software update with BMW ConnectedDrive.
This updated software was specially provided to support the use of new mobile devices with Connectivity products from BMW:

- Hands-free kit with USB audio interface (optional equipment, code 6NH)
- Mobile phone preparation Bluetooth connectivity with USB audio interface (optional equipment, code 6NK)
- Mobile phone preparation Bluetooth connectivity with USB audio interface including BMW Assist (optional equipment, code 6NL)
- ConnectedDrive Services (optional equipment, code 6AK)
- Intelligent emergency calling (optional equipment, code 6AC)
- Convenience telephony with extended smartphone connectivity (optional equipment, code 6NS)
- Apps (optional equipment, code 6NR)

This update is valid for vehicles with production date from July 2012 to June 2015.

Consult the information on the software update for the benefits updated software offers to your vehicle and your device.

Find more information about compatibility here:

- www.bmw.com/bluetooth: BMW Bluetooth interface ***8211; approved and tested devices.
- www.bmw.com/usb: USB audio interface ***8211; approved and tested devices.
I accept the usage right agreement

·
Registered
5 Posts
iOS 9.2 is apparently not compatible with current BMW iDrive systems. I have been on the phone with both Apple and BMW. Each one claims it's the other guy's fault. Apple has a point as BMW's website lists iOS 8.2 is the latest compatible operating system. Yikes!

My 2016 X3 will not connect for music/podcast play reliably via USB or bluetooth. I have spoken to the BMW geniuses as well has had the car in to the dealership to see if there was a fix for the problem. Apparently not.

I spoke to a supervisor at BMW today (1/20/2016) who stated that BMW was working on a fix but there was not ETA on when it would be available. Given BMW still thinks that 8.2 is current, my feeling is that iOS 10 will be out before there is a fix for 9.2! BMW should find a couple of high school students to do the coding for them. I would their response very disappointing for a luxury vehicle manufacturer who claims to be advanced technologically.

The bottom line is that there is no fix currently out there, nor is one expected anytime soon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an updated iPhone 6 and I don't seem to be experiencing these issues. I can play podcasts/stream via Bluetooth without an issue. Also don't seem to experience any issues making or receiving calls. Following.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
I have an updated iPhone 6 and I don't seem to be experiencing these issues. I can play podcasts/stream via Bluetooth without an issue. Also don't seem to experience any issues making or receiving calls. Following.
Same here. iPhone 6S with iOS 9.2. I don't stream but there are no issues with bluetooth.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have the same problems from time-to-time with a 2016 GT and iOS 9.1. The Solution from the BMW Genii was to:
1. Delete and re-pair the car and phone; then
2. Reboot the phone every time the BT streaming gets flakey.

This reassures me that the problem is Apple's, and that Apple ended up with some Microsoft programmer working for them, producing leaky code.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have the same problems from time-to-time with a 2016 GT and iOS 9.1. The Solution from the BMW Genii was to:
1. Delete and re-pair the car and phone; then
2. Reboot the phone every time the BT streaming gets flakey.

This reassures me that the problem is Apple's, and that Apple ended up with some Microsoft programmer working for them, producing leaky code.
I don't stream music. I only make/receive calls. I deleted the phone from the car and unpaired and repaired the car and phone, but the issue continues.

I was on the phone this morning. The call doesn't end, but only one person can hear the other for a brief period. Sometimes the car goes into radio mode for a short time and then returns to the call. I'm getting used to it!! :rofl:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't stream music. I only make/receive calls. I deleted the phone from the car and unpaired and repaired the car and phone, but the issue continues.

I was on the phone this morning. The call doesn't end, but only one person can hear the other for a brief period. Sometimes the car goes into radio mode for a short time and then returns to the call. I'm getting used to it!! :rofl:
I spoke to soon. I hadn't experienced any issues prior but had that exact thing happen to me this morning. Bluetooth went to radio in the middle of the call and then reconnected. Happened a couple times during the call. No Bueno. I will continue to follow this thread to see if there are any sure fixes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts