BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get rid of the silly mobile phone holder/tray/flap from my center console storage bin.

Is it possible to do this cleanly? It looks like there's some cloth lining glued to the hinge area of the phone tray.

Anyone done this?

·
Super Moderator
9,123 Posts
If you remove it, you might have some codes on the car, until you code the phone out of the car. They really do nothing, but get in the way!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Code for phone tray

Thanks Mr. HerbP - I may take a crack at removing it this weekend and just tucking the wiring connector out of the way, so maybe it won't throw a code. :thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,123 Posts
So removing the phone from the glove box, want cause a problem with any of the modules? If this is the cause I will remove the one from my 750.

·
Super Moderator
2,113 Posts
So removing the phone from the glove box, want cause a problem with any of the modules? If this is the cause I will remove the one from my 750.
You should be fine but ISTA might pick up an anomaly the next time you run a diagnostic, if it does just code it out of the VO.
I don't recall anyone having issues pulling the cradles out of these cars in the past.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I removed one a few years ago for a friend. I don't remember any codes or issues after the removal. It's just power and antenna and audio connection. You should be fine.

You get lots of storage back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't get a chance to work on this last weekend (4/25-26). Will definitely post some pictures when I do.

·
Super Moderator
9,123 Posts
I removed one a few years ago for a friend. I don't remember any codes or issues after the removal. It's just power and antenna and audio connection. You should be fine.

You get lots of storage back.
Thanks there is hardly any room due to it being in the way, it will be gone this week. If I get any codes in the module, I will just code it out.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Thanks there is hardly any room due to it being in the way, it will be gone this week. If I get any codes in the module, I will just code it out.
Herb,
If I remember there are a couple of screws that are hidden behind some plastic covers that do not look like covers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I finally got around to working on the center console tray removal. I didn't document the entire process, but it was pretty simple. Fist picture is the "before" picture showing the useless phone adapter tray:

Removing two screws underneath this tray allows the top portion of the tray and the phone adapter to come loose:

The adapter is still attached to the vehicle by four(!) multi-wire bundles. I decided just to snip these, and zip-tie them down at the rear of the tray

Here's what the tray shell bottom looks like with the top phone adapter removed.. Didn't get a good photo of this myself, so copying from another post:

I originally wanted to remove this entire tray, but it looked really complicated, due to the tray hinge being integrated with the console lid hinge, and a hydraulic piston attached to the support, presumably to prevent it from slamming down. So I decided to leave it and use it as a storage tray.

Used a dremel to remove the 6 triangular plastic support posts and got the bottom of the tray as smooth as I could. Also fashioned an L-shaped piece of sheet metal to cover the screw-hole posts, the wire bundle, and the open area at the back of the tray. Secured this plate to the tray using screws driven down into the post holes. Finally, covered the tray and sheet-metal plate with adhesive-backed felt.

I'm happy with the amount of storage this tray now provides - it can hold my wallet or phone and a couple other small items. I may go back and re-do the felt lining - tough to do a clean job due to all the odd inside angles.

Hope this helps if anyone is considering doing something like this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts