BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Center Jack Point and Jack stand positions for '04 330ci?

19957 Views 20 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  GoForthFast
Okay, I have spent the past hour searching for info and I can't find anything that looks like my car.

I need to get it up on jack stands to change my front control arm bushings. Is there a center jack point? And can I put the jack stands under the rails? It has some type of hard platicy stuff on it - sound proofing :dunno: ?

I don't want to bend anything or start breaking/peeling off sound proofing or whatever is sprayed under there. Any ideas?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
I use the jack pads to lift the vehicle and put my jack stands on the frame rails.
I have a two ton low profile jack and in the front I slide it under the button in the middle of the support plate and jack up the front end and place jack stands under the jack points...in the rear I use the jack on the support structure just in front of the rear dif...jack it up and put jack stands under the side jack points.

I have had all four corners up like this and work under it that way...with the jacks in place for back-up in case jack stands fail.

This low profile jack is the key, IMO>

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...e-heavy-duty-floor-jack-rapid-pump-68050.html
Previous info given is good. No arguments.

Using the center button on the reinforcing plate in the front of our cars will deform/crush the plate. It will lift the car tho.

I'm seen frame rails used and jack points used.

Manufacturer of jack stands says not to put all four corners in stands at the same time.
Seen plenty do it, but don't want to be crushed myself. I'm funny like that.

Just drove thru Nashville. Can't get enough of Jack's BBQ.
I just bought the same jack a couple of weeks ago at HF for $99 with the coupon. It's amazing. Low profile and 23" lifting range for this money, I could not pass it.

And also for the first time I used that oval point of the front support plate. It got a little deformed but it's so much faster than other ways to do it. People have been doing it for years with no I'll effects, so i gave it a try and it worked just fine. As long as you immediately put it on the jack stands. I use the jack points for this.
Good luck.
I have a two ton low profile jack and in the front I slide it under the button in the middle of the support plate and jack up the front end and place jack stands under the jack points...in the rear I use the jack on the support structure just in front of the rear dif...jack it up and put jack stands under the side jack points.

I have had all four corners up like this and work under it that way...with the jacks in place for back-up in case jack stands fail.

This low profile jack is the key, IMO>

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...e-heavy-duty-floor-jack-rapid-pump-68050.html
I'll tell you if you use the center "button" as suggested, it will work, but you'll mangle that aluminum support piece over time. I do it this way. You'll have that part off when you change the FCABs and you'll see that it bends on the ground-facing side, but remains in tact on the motor facing side. Over time, repeated use of it this way will reduce your vertical lift because it collapses some.
I sent you a message, did the same thing. I used the jack pads upfront and placed the jack stands under the rails. When you let down the jack while the stand is under the frame rail the other side rear tire will come up, no big deal, just go slow. Then jack up that other side and place the jack stand under that frame rail. I had no problem at all and it left no marks. I sent you a PM, call if you have questions.
Brian
Dayum Son! Makin' me hungry. :D
Pretty much, :stupid:
And also for the first time I used that oval point of the front support plate. It got a little deformed but it's so much faster than other ways to do it. People have been doing it for years with no I'll effects, so i gave it a try and it worked just fine. As long as you immediately put it on the jack stands. I use the jack points for this.
Good luck.
Just to be clear - by the oval shape, you mean this thing towards the bottom of the reinforcement plate?

Attachments

Jeez... thanks for saying hi :tsk:
Yes, that's the "button", underneath it is the front sub frame, so it's a good place to to jack the car up, but the button itself gets bent.
Just to be clear - by the oval shape, you mean this thing towards the bottom of the reinforcement plate?
Is it not okay to lift the back on the jack pads one side at a time to the point to where the front comes up and then place the jack stand under the front pad?
Maybe it's just me and I'm paranoid, but it would make me really nervous to jack the car up that high. Too many variables, and talk about a hell of a fall if it slips off the jack that high up.
Is it not okay to lift the back on the jack pads one side at a time to the point to where the front comes up and then place the jack stand under the front pad?
Well I understand the fear but how is it supposed to be done without damaging parts under the car. Could one lift under the control arm and the put the stand under the jack pad?
Maybe it's just me and I'm paranoid, but it would make me really nervous to jack the car up that high. Too many variables, and talk about a hell of a fall if it slips off the jack that high up.
I wouldn't lift from the control arm, I see that going badly. What I ended up doing is just lifting it from the frame rails. It does kinda 'scuff' up that plasticy stuff, but it didn't seem to do any real damage. You could always use a block of wood or something on the rails, too - but that would make me worry about them sliding/falling off the jack.
Well I understand the fear but how is it supposed to be done without damaging parts under the car. Could one lift under the control arm and the put the stand under the jack pad?
Like I said I lifted it at the front jack pads and placed the jack stands under the frame rails by the front jack pads. No worries no damage, not even scuffs. It wasn't too high either, just enough to get the job done. I was sweating bullets as well while jacking, but it went smooth.
You think that's bad, try lowering a car with the front control arm bushing completely detached - that'll make you squirm.
I was sweating bullets as well while jacking, but it went smooth.
I am sure it's gonna happen again, doing something for the first time and sweat
bullets util it runs or is road worthy again.
You think that's bad, try lowering a car with the front control arm bushing completely detached - that'll make you squirm.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.