BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just scanned my 2002 530i as part of an upcoming oil service, and came up with the following fault:
"ZKE Central body electronics - GM Central-locking drive, passenger's door".
This is the second time this fault has come up, last time was about a year ago, and I cleared it then.
I have now cleared it again.
All the functions of the central locking seems to be working fine, I haven't noticed anything wrong.
So I'm wondering what this information means.
Does it mean the GM (General Module) is failing?
Or does it mean the passenger door lock actuator is failing?
What should I do in response to the fault?
One concern I have is that if I wait until the door won't unlock, I won't be able to open the door to get to the lock actuator to replace it, if that is the part that is failing.
I have searched online and the only references I find are of something actually not working, which is not the case for me.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
To change the actuator is no big deal so I would do that first.
This is maybe not going to solve your problem but at least you know that then.
Have you noticed if the passenger door is a bit slow to lock/unlock compared to other doors?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 528iAut, good suggestion.
I checked the door locks multiple times and they all operate in unison, none slower than the others as far as I can discern.
The fault code "ZKE Central body electronics - GM Central-locking drive, passenger's door" suggests to me that the fault is in a drive in or associated with the GM (General Module).
Your suggestion got me looking further and I found a website that is a repair service for BMW electronics and has a lot of information on this, it is:
http://www.bmwgm5.com/
The link only takes you to the main page, you have to click through to access the information.
Some of what I found:

The BMW GM III is used on several cars such as the E38 7-series 1995-2001, E39 5-series 1995-2003 and the E53 X5 1999-2006 series. The GM3 does not supply power to the front door lock motors or the front window motors. They are instead connected via the P-Bus to the PM-FT/SB modules, one in each of the two front doors. The PM-FT/SB modules detect the state of the key cylinder via two hall effect sensors and the open/closed state of the door via another hall sensor. Each PM module is responsible for powering the door lock motors and the window motor. The door lock motors are powered by an H-bridge power MOSFET output circuit. This is good since MOSFETs do not wear out like relays. The windows are still powered by relays.

The PM modules are used on cars that use the BMW GM3 module like the E38 7-series 1994-2001 and E39 5-series 1995-2004. The E53 X5 also has a set of PM modules, but, they are integrated with the door control panels. There is one PM module in each of the Front Doors. The driver's door has PM-FT module and the front passenger door has a PM-BT module. The module is connected to the GM3 through the P-Bus. It controls the door lock, window motor, mirror motors and mirror heater. It senses the seat memory switch, door latch, window switch and mirror adjust switch and controls the appropriate motor directly and/or notifies the GM3 module via the P-Bus.

So I suspect either the GM module or one of the PM modules.
I'm going to email bmwgm5.com and see what they say.
If it is one of those (and not the door lock actuator) I can wait until it finally fails.
I will update soon.

·
Wingnut
3,730 Posts
beware of ending up with a door you cannot unlock and open...thats another world of hurt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks mattmar1, that is definitely something I don't want to happen.
Major problems trying to get the panel off a door you can't open.
BTW the full fault code is "ZKE Central body electronics - 5E GM Central-locking drive, passenger's door".
I omitted the 5E earlier.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Change the actuator...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got an answer from Scott Johnson at http://www.bmwgm5.com/:

"5E is a problem with the STZV line from the PM-BT module.
It could be a problem with the PM-BT module or the wiring harness that contains the STZV line or the motor that is driven by the STZV line.
It cannot give you the exact cause of the problem, but, this information in the hands of a trained professional will give then a place to start looking.
It in no way points to a problem with the general module."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts