BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My remote control suddenly stopped working, 2001 e39.

I tried to reprogram the remote, this didn't work. I assumed that the remote had failed and purchased a new key -- still not working.

I have checked the fuses in the Glove box(6, 27, 29) and the trunk (53) and there are no blown fuses. Using the key manually, via the driver's door, arms and disarms the alarming system.

What else can I check to get the remote working again?

Thank you!

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
Reinitialize the keys. Follow the instructions VERY carefully. I have seen someone say they were going step-by-step from the instructions, then I noticed he didn't have the driver's door fully closed while doing it. Follow the instructions carefully and you will probably post back "never mind". There are other things that could be causing your problem, but they are much less likely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Chiefwej,

I have attempted to reinitialize the keys. I thought that I wasn't doing something correctly, so I took the car to the dealer and had them attempt the same thing -- no workie.
The tech mentioned a possible antenna problem, but I am reluctant to replace any parts without ensuring that they are truly broken.

I've read several posts and most of them indicate blown fuses. I've checked all the fuses, pulled them and reinserted them. Still, I am not able to reinitialize the remotes.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My problem with re-initializing was that I was not removing the key after turning to the on position. Once I removed the key from the ignition and followed the next steps, it worked like a charm. Hope you figure this out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I tried reinitializing, with the key removed, but that did not resolve the problem.

I will probably take the car to the local Independent shop and see what they say. I'll post the results for others.

Thanks

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
When I first test drove my car, the remote locking wasn't working. At the pre-purchase inspection, the technician said that there was a known defect in the fuel filler door actuator solenoid, and it blew the fuse for the central locking system. He replaced the fuse, and the remote worked. However, I never got the actuator for the fuel filler door fixed, and so I open it manually, by pushing on the front edge of the door.

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
When I first test drove my car, the remote locking wasn't working. At the pre-purchase inspection, the technician said that there was a known defect in the fuel filler door actuator solenoid, and it blew the fuse for the central locking system. He replaced the fuse, and the remote worked. However, I never got the actuator for the fuel filler door fixed, and so I open it manually, by pushing on the front edge of the door.
Just so you know, the actuator doesn't open the door, it just locks it in place (closed) when the car is locked.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I do not know what the problem is ... but you already tried the most common culprit:
- BMW diamond key opening, charging, recoding, & battery replacement (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

So, you 'might' want to take five minutes to look at your trunk loom:
- Trunklid open, check licplate light, and other trunk wiring loom woes (1) (2) (3)

I'm not saying it's the trunk loom, but, the 13 wires innervate a lot of the locking mechanisms and control whether the key works in some cases (e.g., mine), so, it's at least worth the look.

·
BMW CCA Member #: 444067
261 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
It was also a low priority for me, but since I was able to fix it with nothing more than a few sprays of WD-40 in a few minutes............

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
I'm hoping for the same. I just need to muster the energy to actually take a look at it.
If you ever get around to it (or "a round tuit," to quote Bluebee) could you post a photo of where you sprayed? Maybe it'll move up on my to-do list, into the "15-minute time-kill" category, or something to do while I'm waiting for the oil to drain into my Mityvac.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.