BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

my e46 only has a belly strap in the rear centre seat, the rear seats don't drop on my car so is there a way i can install a 3 point seatbelt in the car:dunno:

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
No....there`s no place strong enough to anchor a shoulder belt in the middle position.

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
No....there`s no place strong enough to anchor a shoulder belt in the middle position.
The best strategy is to put your least favorite friend in the middle seat. Since an "accident" will cause great inconvenience for everyone in the car your best bet is to avoid such inconvenience by driving safely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The best strategy is to put your least favorite friend in the middle seat. Since an "accident" will cause great inconvenience for everyone in the car your best bet is to avoid such inconvenience by driving safely.
thats all well and good but which one of my 3 kids will the missus let me put there:p

i am driving nearly 20 years and have kept the motors between the ditches so far but theres always a first time!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI all,

I have discovered that there is a"factory option" for a rear 3 point centre seat belt. the part number is 71119415195=BMW,
I also discovered while bored i removed the rear parcel shelf and some skin from my knuckles that there is a "cavaty" in the bulkhead to hold the seatbelt and a welded nut also there is an outline on the underside of the tray to cut out for the belt,
now i yust have toorder a seatbelt, I will keep you informed and will post the install with pics

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
Yea, you "can" get it as an option. Looking at mine it would appear you will need the assembly and the back deck with the extra slot in it. Probably doable, but at what cost?

BTW, this is just another example of why I love my new ZHP.

Attachments

·
ZHP Caporegime
531 Posts
@smolck - my ZHP doesn't have that... but do you have ZCW (or just the folding rear seat option)? I'm thinking you might not be able to have both folding seats and the shoulder belt since mine drop so I have more storage space

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
@smolck - my ZHP doesn't have that... but do you have ZCW (or just the folding rear seat option)? I'm thinking you might not be able to have both folding seats and the shoulder belt since mine drop so I have more storage space
They fold down also.

·
ZHP Caporegime
531 Posts
They fold down also.
Interesting. I need to look at the pics I took of my rear deck from when I took it apart to solve the rattle and see where it mounts.

EDIT: I see now...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
there is an outline that you can cut out on the underside of the tray, in the pic you have at the lower side of the pic you can see the "hollow" where you can put the belt reel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My car has a solid bulkhead the rear seats don't drop so there is a large "crossmember" with pre welded nuts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts