BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Let Apple rewrite iDrive
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried installing ceramic brakes on their 6? Seems like my wheels turn from silver to dark gray about two days after I wash the car. :cry: It would be nice to have some brakes that don't dust so much, and ceramic brakes are supposed to be a great solution as long as you aren't running track laps with your BMW...

Thanks for any info!

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Your issue is your wheels, not so much brake dust.

The Ellipoids have very little dust issues due to their design. If you change to wheels with all kinds of spokes, the brake dust increases ten fold.

Not sure why. However, on the BMW's I have had with spoke wheels, the dust was a big issue. Must have something to due with air flow through the wheel. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
chuck92103 said:
Not sure why. However, on the BMW's I have had with spoke wheels, the dust was a big issue. Must have something to due with air flow through the wheel. :dunno:
BMW tradition! :thumbup: On my Individual wheels (no.152), I get a little brake dust starting to form after a few days from washing.

·
BMW Driver for Life!
350 Posts
if it bothers you that much, get axis dustless brake pads. they make a world of a difference in terms of brake dust. people have said, however, that they notice a slight decrease in the stopping performance using them though...

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Gotta Go All The Way

If you are going to consider ceramic brakes you need to also consider ceramic ciscs.:p Realistically ceramic brakes/disc combos are only needed for high speed breaking; you attain high speeds regulary and you need the stopping power and less wear that ceramic offers. In this case I do not think ceramic is your answer. I am sure you know this.

But... You can get less organic brakes that Tyrerack offers. They have a set that releases less brake dust. Try them if you feel the current OEMs are not to your liking.

Putting ceramic duo on a M6 is doable IMO. High speed all day baby!:D

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Choson1 said:
if it bothers you that much, get axis dustless brake pads. they make a world of a difference in terms of brake dust. people have said, however, that they notice a slight decrease in the stopping performance using them though...
Agreed. Axxis/PBR pads--formerly Repco--are THE solution for relatively dust-free brakes. I do my own brake work, and have been using them for years on various cars. On my E39 I swapped the OEM pads for PBR Delux as soon as they were available. (Actually, someone on the E39 board discovered that E39 pads were identical to M3 pads of the same vintage before PBR even recognized the fitment.) Anyway, after the change, the lack of dust was remarkable, and I have never noticed any deterioration in braking with PBR (now Axxis) pads. However, I have noticed that slighty higher pedal pressures are required with the harder, hence less dust p[roducing, pads.

A remark on the E60 board suggests that Axxis pads are available for that car, but I'm not sure if E63 brakes are the same as those on the E63.

·
Registered
109 Posts
chuck92103 said:
Your issue is your wheels, not so much brake dust.

The Ellipoids have very little dust issues due to their design. If you change to wheels with all kinds of spokes, the brake dust increases ten fold.

I have the ellipsoids and have the same issue.
Look great when I clean them.
I can go for a half hour 'pleasure cruise' and there is noticeable dust all over the wheels.
Rub your finger on them after this half hour drive and there's tons of dust.
I don't think it's the wheels.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Grumpy said:
I have the ellipsoids and have the same issue.
Look great when I clean them.
I can go for a half hour 'pleasure cruise' and there is noticeable dust all over the wheels.
Rub your finger on them after this half hour drive and there's tons of dust.
I don't think it's the wheels.
I can go for over a week without black wheels. Maybe you are braking to hard all the time. :dunno:

Yes there is dirt on the wheel, but nothing like the black gunk that appears on spoke rims in a day or two.

I suppose BMW changed the pads on the 650's. Seriously though, it is not an issue for me at all. First BMW I have owned where dust was not an issue.

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Yep

I would agree with your 650i brake pad assessment.

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Also no issues here on my 645 with ellipsoids. Takes quite long to get any appreciable dust on mine. Of course maybe its because I do not use brakes 28,000 miles with 43,000 to go according to iDrive and service department.

·
Let Apple rewrite iDrive
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, I'm not seeing any ceramic brake pads listed on various aftermarket sites anyway to fit the 650i. Well, I did find "rear only" brake pads. And a call to my dealer revealed that my local dealer only sells (and, for that matter, install) the OEM brake pads. So...bottom line is that the ceramic brake pad retrofit idea is a dead end. :(

Thanks to everyone for their responses though. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.