BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to do pads. What do you guys suggest ? I have had a mechanic tell me that he uses semi metallic pads because they are easier on the rotors, and prevent brake dust almost as well as ceramic. What do you guys use ?

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,169 Posts
BTW, they also last very long...my old set was seven years old when I replaced them.

Even then, the only reason I replaced them was because my replacement set had been sitting the garage for years because every time, the mechanic said they were fine. :yikes:

·
Registered
292 Posts
:thumbup: on the Akebono. Never wash brake dust off those wheels again! And agree on unbelievably long life of the pads. I got 100K out of the back pads and the front still have plenty of meat on them at 120K

:drive:

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,169 Posts
Why would u want to reduce braking power??:confused:
Do as u please but the oem ones last long and work great.:D
Because OEM pads will turn your rims black in a week or two, and I got tired of cleaning them. With Akebono pads, you just need to step on the pedal a bit harder to get the same braking power.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I always use OEM pads and rotors. But that's just my thing. I'll deal with a little dust to have the nice hard bite of the OEM pads. And actually as of 07 or 08, BMW started changing the pads to a harder compound. They e60 LCI brakes last forever. My e60 has little to no dust after a couple weeks where as my e39 has dark wheels after a week or two.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Why would u want to reduce braking power??:confused:
Do as u please but the oem ones last long and work great.:D
Ceramics dont reduce stopping power. Overall stopping distances are comparable between oem and akebono. However, ceramics have less initial bite, so it doesnt feel as good/strong. Its weird, but you get used to it..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
35 Posts
Am 100% pleased with the Akebono ceramic pads. Basically see no difference in braking. Old pads turned rims black in a week. Could go 3 months i believe and still not see any dust with these Akebono's. Bought from Advance, fronts were approx $75 and rears were approx $65, and was well worth it IMHO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.