Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am prepraring to purchase a 2001 325 with approx 14k miles. The buyer has told me that the dealership where the vehicle was purchased and serviced will certify it into the certified program for $1,000.00. Does anyone know whether that is a set price for dealerships or should I call others? Also, is a grand high?

My appreciation in advance.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
shellybug said:
I am prepraring to purchase a 2001 325 with approx 14k miles. The buyer has told me that the dealership where the vehicle was purchased and serviced will certify it into the certified program for $1,000.00. Does anyone know whether that is a set price for dealerships or should I call others? Also, is a grand high?

My appreciation in advance.
How much ya' paying? (Cause I've got a real nice '01 330i 5-speed, etc. with only 10,500 miles on it that you could prolly get for at/near the same price!).

:yikes:

·
Registered
738 Posts
You can not "buy-into" the Certified Pre-Owned program. BMW dealers use a loophole in the rules to certify vehicles that they have originally sold/leased. You can not certify a vehicle that was bought through a third party under any circumstances, and I believe you can not go to any other dealer than the one that originally sold the vehicle.

Of course the way to get around this is to have the dealer buy the car, certify it and sell it to you, but you will spend thousands extra.

The certified program is the prefered extended warranty program because it goes through the BMW database. There is no paperwork to carry around, no headaches in finding a place to accept the plan, no problems with only paying a certain amount for a repair, etc. It is also much easier for the dealer in that it is done just like the new car warranty. There are no special procedures for claims or payment, and there is no need to call in for authorization and payment. There is one $50 deductible per visit (regardless of number of repairs) and there is no tax, miscellaneous fees, etc. that you will be hit with.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I think Dr. Bimmer is mostly correct, except for the original dealer stuff. Any dealer can sell a "CPO" car, even if that dealer did not originally sell the car as new. But, you say you are not planning to purchasing the car from a dealership, so there is no "CPO" available. There may be some way of transfering the balance of the original warrenty, but that's not "CPO"

edit: CPO for a thousand dollars would be a good deal. In my area, the dealers are getting closer to 1500-1750 for this.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Somewhere in a thread on this board Jon Shafer said it cost them about $850 to CPO a used vehicle.

My $0.02

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
SteveM said:
Somewhere in a thread on this board Jon Shafer said it cost them about $850 to CPO a used vehicle.

My $0.02

yes, that is what it costs... How much it is "sold" for is always different:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
738 Posts
DougDogs said:
I think Dr. Bimmer is mostly correct, except for the original dealer stuff. Any dealer can sell a "CPO" car, even if that dealer did not originally sell the car as new. But, you say you are not planning to purchasing the car from a dealership, so there is no "CPO" available. There may be some way of transfering the balance of the original warrenty, but that's not "CPO"

edit: CPO for a thousand dollars would be a good deal. In my area, the dealers are getting closer to 1500-1750 for this.
What I was implying by the original dealer comment was that he could get the original owner to pay the dealer he bought it from to certify it before he sold it to him.

I still believe that the certified program is a big plus and is definately worth more than the other aftermarket warranty plans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts