BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting thread posted in the general discussion of this forum( title:Interesting thoughts on late model BMW longevity) indicate that BMW service techs acknowledge that BMW becoming "free maintenance" with longer oil change intervals etc will cost in the longevity of the cars. The response indicates it was a "marketing influenced" decision that was also influenced by governments that want less oil, and fluids for disposal. After reading this, my car will get extra maintenance scheduled, free or not. A used BMW coming off a lease looks like a much less attractive proposal than it did yesterday, to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm getting a car one before mine leaves warranty, so I really don't care if they last longer than 40k miles, I hate to say.

BTW, I did speak to the head of the service department at the head of one of the biggest volume dealers in the US, and he said there is 'absolutley no reason whatsoever' to service it any more than recommended. I can't think of any reason why he would say that if it wasn't true. He would just be turning down a bunch of oil change business.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm getting a car one before mine leaves warranty, so I really don't care if they last longer than 40k miles, I hate to say.

BTW, I did speak to the head of the service department at the head of one of the biggest volume dealers in the US, and he said there is 'absolutley no reason whatsoever' to service it any more than recommended. I can't think of any reason why he would say that if it wasn't true. He would just be turning down a bunch of oil change business.
Read the thread, there is obviously a different opinion from that of your service guy. My service advisor said the 335i "runs kind of hot" and that quite a few owners are servicing more frequently than the recommended service interval. He did not even attempt to schedule an additional service visit. I'm not sure what historical info your service guy is basing his recommendations on, as this is the first BMW turbo that has been widely produced. A high volume dealer is also not necessarily looking for service revenue, I'll bet he has his hands pretty full as is. The question should be(like in the thread above), what has changed design-wise to permit longer service intervals. Remember the intervals for auto tranny fluid, differential oil etc are 3x what they used to be, its not just motor oil.

But you know if I was going to dump it after the warranty expired, I wouldnt do it either. Perhaps BMW is so much into the leasing business, longevity is not a goal anymore.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
that raises the next question - what is frequent enough?!

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
I was thinking about every 7500 miles, but I'm about to 3750 so I'll probably do a break-in oil change around then, and then wait for the first freebie. After that I'll do it after another 7500 miles, then a freebie, etc. I have no idea if that's too often or often enough but it seems that's half the recommended interval so that should be OK.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
7,500 miles with full synthetic is perfectly fine. Make sure you change your air filter every 15,000 miles (it will help keep your oil clean).

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
932 Posts
Generally, I'm in the camp that says more frequent oil changes are preferrable to less frequent changes.
One claim that I don't know whether it's true or not, is the one about not doing a post breakin oil change, because it will somehow be bad for the engine.
The other issue that comes up has to do with the reality of the 7500 mi changes. Since I drive less than 15000 mi a year, the first change would come at 7500 mi, but the next one would come at the end of the year, (at 12000+ mi) Then a third would come a short time later when the indicator light came on. Or maybe to schedule the first one sooner (6000 mi) to spread them out more evenly.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
should the oil change be done only at the dealer? how about going to the nearby Jiffy Lube? any special oil needed - what needs to be communicated to them?

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
I did mine at 1500 miles, and then I will do it at 7500. Dealer will do it at 15000, me at 22500... etc...

My car is leased. :)

- Mike

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
655 Posts
Out of laziness I went 14k on the factory oil (ED included) :eek: and the indicator still didn't go off for a few months.

My BMW adviser also told me it was unnecessary to change more than once a year and actually said it caused additional wear !!

That being said, I'm not going to let it go that far again. While I don't think 3k miles is the standard any more, I'll probably go with 7500 miles, particularly given the heavy combined city/hwy stop-and-go driving. Luckily the climate is pretty mild here. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
say i drive 5000 miles a year

then, it will be 3 years before bmw changes my oil

so my question.

if, hypothetically, it takes me 5 years to drive 15000 miles, is it okay for oil to sit in the car for that long?

like, are oil changes supposed to be xxxx miles or x years whichever comes first? or just xxxx miles

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
932 Posts
BMW will change your oil once a year regardless of mileage, without charge, during your warranty period, unless your oil change indicator comes on sooner.
Only concern about using the Jiffy Lube, (esp. if you have a 335i) is that they may not use the approved synthetic oil, which is not that easy to find. I would inquire as to which oil they would use.

·
ED Retires Urges!
218 Posts
Jiffy Lube? Never. You don't know what they use, and you can't verify it. First and only time I took my Nissan there, the technician--and I use that term in the loosest possible sense--managed to flatten all the cooling fins on the little power-steering fluid radiator in his attempt to remove the oil filter.:mad:

I'll just do the extra oil changes myself.

·
Code/wrench Monkey
1,128 Posts
Take a look on the E46 forum. Many people there have high mileage cars that came off lease. I don't recall seeing any engine issues caused by infrequent oils changes. Other than a few rare cases of sludge I cannot recall any engine issues at all. The vanos and coilpack issues are not uncommon but they are electrical.

Saying that I do a change at 1,500 miles, and then at half the BMW intervals. DIY it takes under 20 minutes and cost peanuts. As someone already said I change the air filter way before BMW says to - 3 minute DIY. I think the biggest issue with oil is not changing AT fluid at ~50K miles - lots of auto transmissions seem to have issues and people who have DIY'd it say the lifetime fluid looks terrible after 50K miles.

·
Registered
375 Posts
should the oil change be done only at the dealer? how about going to the nearby Jiffy Lube? any special oil needed - what needs to be communicated to them?
Jiffy Lube, or any other quick oil change business, is unlikely to have either the filter or oil that the car uses. German cars require German fluids, in this case oil meeting BMW's LL-01 or LL-04 specification. Your realistic choices are a dealer, an independent shop that works on BMWs or do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take a look on the E46 forum. Many people there have high mileage cars that came off lease. I don't recall seeing any engine issues caused by infrequent oils changes. Other than a few rare cases of sludge I cannot recall any engine issues at all. The vanos and coilpack issues are not uncommon but they are electrical.

Saying that I do a change at 1,500 miles, and then at half the BMW intervals. DIY it takes under 20 minutes and cost peanuts. As someone already said I change the air filter way before BMW says to - 3 minute DIY. I think the biggest issue with oil is not changing AT fluid at ~50K miles - lots of auto transmissions seem to have issues and people who have DIY'd it say the lifetime fluid looks terrible after 50K miles.
I have never seen a high mileage>140k post 98 bmw for sale in phoenix. I have seen quite a few pre 95 325i's with up to 200k, and seen quite a few pre '90 325i's on the road here. Now I have seen alot of nissans, toyotas with high mileage for sale, and owned a few myself with 150-190k. Interesting that VW/audis oil change specs are 5K first, 10k second then 10k intervals after that. They use the same spec oil! the 335i is a turbo, no e46 generates as much heat, so its irrelevant to compare them to a 335i. Its also true that the mg alloy blocks are new, the data are not in on how they fare longevity wise. Maintaining lubrication on those motors would be prudent. The idea that 5k or 7500 mile oil changes cause increased wear is just assinine, if I had a service advisor who said that, I'd change dealerships.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Interesting thread posted in the general discussion of this forum( title:Interesting thoughts on late model BMW longevity) indicate that BMW service techs acknowledge that BMW becoming "free maintenance" with longer oil change intervals etc will cost in the longevity of the cars. The response indicates it was a "marketing influenced" decision that was also influenced by governments that want less oil, and fluids for disposal. After reading this, my car will get extra maintenance scheduled, free or not. A used BMW coming off a lease looks like a much less attractive proposal than it did yesterday, to me.
+1. I would *never* buy a lease car for this and many other reasons.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Where do you purchase the oil from? Kragen/Walmart has them - what (and where) should I look for?

·
Code/wrench Monkey
1,128 Posts
Where do you purchase the oil from? Kragen/Walmart has them - what (and where) should I look for?
A majority of DIY performance car owners use Mobil One 5W30 from Wally Mart. Oil filters can be bought from your dealer or online at places like http://www.bavauto.com/

Technically Mobile One 5W30 is not BMW LL04 certified, but it is a great oil - maybe not the 'best', but that is a religious argument and not worth taking part in. In general the 'best' oil is considered to be Amsoil (this is the biggest oil 'religion'), but Mobil One can be bought at WalMart and is a very good [group III] oil. I have used Mobil One in all my BMWs so far - I may switch to Amsoil soon as I am buddies with one of their cult members ;)

If you DIY, be sure not to overfill - that's the only real way you can screw up. Under fill and the oil light will come on.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts