BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't believe it.
I removed the two climate control filters today and replaced them with new ACM filters. I couldn't believe how appalingly dirty and clogged up they were - only 12,000 miles ago. I live in the city.

The AC is noticeably stronger now and the musty smell is GONE.

Finally, I removed the engine air filter. It didn't look that bad but then I took a look in the air box and it was full of sand and leaves. It was so bad I can't imagine how the engine was breathing. It was replaced some 20K miles ago. I took a shop vac and vacuumed out probably two fistfuls of debris.

·
Premium Member
7,586 Posts
Yup, did the same at 45k miles, while changing the oil and filter (had dealer change coolant). I vacuumed a few leaves and pine needles from microfilter boxes, and some dirt/sand/bugs from air filter box, but nothing terribly bad. Air filter had never been changed before (and was dirty, but not plugged/I believe the book says 60k interval(!)), and the microfilters were replaced 15k ago.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Yep, yep...open them hoods folks and either suck or blow the leaves/dirt out of them! :) I have a lot of very large and old oak trees around my property so this is a minimum monthly duty! :D

·
Premium Member
7,586 Posts
BTW Roadie,
Which version of the ACM filters did you get? With or without the charcoal....and what was the part number and retailer? I was confused by the various options/choices they offer for the E39, and ended up getting the German, Meistersatz brand activated charcoal microfilter. Purchased from Europartsdirect.com $20.46 each with free shipping on orders of $50 or more. I think they have raised their prices from when I ordered a month ago.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
540 M-Sport said:
BTW Roadie,
Which version of the ACM filters did you get? With or without the charcoal....and what was the part number and retailer? I was confused by the various options/choices they offer for the E39, and ended up getting the German, Meistersatz brand activated charcoal microfilter. Purchased from Europartsdirect.com $20.46 each with free shipping on orders of $50 or more. I think they have raised their prices from when I ordered a month ago.

Thanks,
Dave
Got it from Bimmerzone.com
I think it's the activated charcoal filters. They were like $33 each...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ågent99 said:
Yep, yep...open them hoods folks and either suck or blow the leaves/dirt out of them! :) I have a lot of very large and old oak trees around my property so this is a minimum monthly duty! :D
BTW: Noticed you had the 530i with 5spd. Did you delete your CDV yet?

·
Premium Member
7,586 Posts
roadie said:
Got it from Bimmerzone.com
I think it's the activated charcoal filters. They were like $33 each...

Yup, those look to be the activated charcoal type.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts