BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a month ago I changed my 335xi 07 oil and when I unscrewed the filter housing it seemed under pressure and blew oil all over the housing and such. That's never happened before. I change my oil at 5,000 miles faithfully. Since then I started throwing camshaft codes and vanos codes. Not a single code was thrown before the oil change.

I read that the oil filter cage isn't in place properly it could cause pressure issues. Could it be related to the pressure I noticed when I opened the filter housing? Just odd it was fine before this happened?

I've replaced the cam sensors, vanos sensors are also replaced new. I have non return valves on order also to replace those.

The car purrs like a kitten and no rough idle or starts.

Still throwing vanos codes and cam codes. Today I threw a P0016 crankshaft - camshaft correlation code.

Ugh any ideas before I take this to an actual shop. I'm looking to have it scanned by an actual shop with a BMW scanner system. I'm totally lost.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
When you say oil filter cage, are you talking about Oil Filter Housing, I just done an oil filter housing gasket on it and I didn't get any error. Can you describe the process of what you do step by step because i doubt it has anything to do with the oil change.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the cam sensors I bought are faulty. But when I changed the oil prior to all the codes. I was unscrewing the filter cap housing and oil gushed out like it was under pressure which I've never seen that happen before!

I changed the oil then next day I started throwing codes. Camshaft codes and vanos codes! Just was strange. I think the cam shaft sensors I ordered could be faulty. I'm replacing them tonight to see. After about 20-25 miles I throw the code P0012 or P0015. The car purrs like a kitten except at first cold start the idle seems off a bit but levels out around 650 and holds.

I'm stumped?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read that if the filter cage is missing or not in place properly it will cause pressure issues and throw vanos codes as well. My filter cage is there but wonder if maybe because of the pressure burst when I changed it might have caused something out of whack. Again I'm paranoid but chasing ghosts right now.... Sucks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok I'm very embarrassed. The camshaft sensors were the first things I replaced when I started getting codes. Sadly I bought aftermarket ones. I bought the oem ones today and OMG with them and replacing the vanos solenoids what a difference! I thought it purred before. It's like a whole new car!

Fingers crossed that the aftermarket sensors were heating up and coding because after 20-25 miles limp mode!

I have the non return valves shipping to me and hoping they aren't a total pain to replace on the Xi model. I only see rear wheel drive DIY on them

I change my oil faithfully every 5,000 miles since I've owned it. Bought it with 70,000 perfect records and I now have 135,000 on it...

Fingers crossed no more codes! I baby this car and hardly ever get on it. Maybe I need to more, maybe I baby it to much!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@spankey,

Now everything is ok?
So far so good I was able to put well over 30 miles on it yesterday. In sport mode and I was on it hard at times which before threw limp mode and vanos codes!

Fingers crossed!

I read a thread where a guys wife had her oil changed at a non bmw shop and they threw away her filter housing. After that codes galore and it was in the shop. They replaced the sensors and such no dice. Then the shop based from the husband stating this all Happened after an oil change. They decided to dig there and found the missing housing. Codes gone after they replaced it. Sure enough they said without the housing it causes pressure issues in the system and drives the vanos crazy!

Glad I checked! I called bmw and they were kind enough to to give me time on the phone. The tech said it could be the eccentric shaft sensor. Hoping not cause that's an expensive job, then I found the missing housing so thinking it was that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts