BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, long time reader, but first time poster on this board :)

Yesterday I changed thermostat in my '88 325ix, then poured new 50/50 Prestone antifreeze, and now my thermostat works like it is suppost to, but after it reaches normal temp temp needle will go to red hot, but there is no check engine or coolant light on dashboard or anything else, while engine runs normal

What should I do to make that needle work again, should I flush it again or try something else?

thanks, Ekac

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
In case you didn't catch the other posts, BLEED BLEED BLEED. Then bleed again. It will take a few tries, just keep bleeding and adding coolant until it's at the proper level when stone cold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In case you didn't catch the other posts, BLEED BLEED BLEED. Then bleed again. It will take a few tries, just keep bleeding and adding coolant until it's at the proper level when stone cold.
Well I already tried few times, but maybe I am doing it wrong,
what's method that you guys use, same one from Haynes Manual Book?

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Fill to the proper level when cold. Then run the engine to operating temperature with the heater on to circulate coolant through the heater core. When the engine is at temperature, open the bleed screw. Steam and bubbles will come out. Close it and repeat until only coolant comes out. Then wait for the car to cool completely. Top off the coolant to the proper level. You may have to repeat this procedure a second or even third time. Just be sure to top off the coolant when it is stone cold, preferably in the morning before it has been driven.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had good success by putting the fornt wheels on ramps elevating the front of the car. This puts the bleed screw at the hightes point. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had good success by putting the fornt wheels on ramps elevating the front of the car. This puts the bleed screw at the hightes point. Good luck
Tried that too, bled it 3 times, and temp needle is still going to red hot, takes more time than before but still, plus there is still aitr bubbles coming out of bleeding screw, but then again not like before when I first started bleeding it

is there anything else I should check for beside trying to vleed it few more times?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Tried that too, bled it 3 times, and temp needle is still going to red hot, takes more time than before but still, plus there is still aitr bubbles coming out of bleeding screw, but then again not like before when I first started bleeding it

is there anything else I should check for beside trying to vleed it few more times?
Turn the heater on full blast, You want to get up to full operating temp then bleed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turn the heater on full blast, You want to get up to full operating temp then bleed.
Still nothing, loosened bleed screw and so much air coming from it, and temp gage needle still going to red zone, but it takes more time

could there be something else wrong with it?

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
no as long as there is air coming out, that needle will be near or on the red. but if all the air is out of the system and it still does it, then the reservior cap is bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no as long as there is air coming out, that needle will be near or on the red. but if all the air is out of the system and it still does it, then the reservior cap is bad.
Hehe, since I'm selling this car I decided to take it to friend of mine who's "all around" mechanic, to make sure car is good and on way to his shop to leave it there til tomorrow so he can check it out, car ran just fine, heated better than ever, but I left it there anyway

so we'll see what happens

·
obsessed
806 Posts
hold the throttle and rev the engine a little higher than idle when bleeding it. and make sure to tighten the bleeder screw before letting off the throttle. i rev it to about 1200-1500rpm by engine noise and my ear. and finding a hill or slope to point your car upwards is easier then a jack when doing this a lot. you might have to bleed it ten times to finally get it.

·
obsessed
806 Posts
Hehe, since I'm selling this car I decided to take it to friend of mine who's "all around" mechanic, to make sure car is good and on way to his shop to leave it there til tomorrow so he can check it out, car ran just fine, heated better than ever, but I left it there anyway

so we'll see what happens
most mechanics dont seem to know a lot about this. bleeding the system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
most mechanics dont seem to know a lot about this.
He said he knows about air bleeding and I told him to check everything even water pump, and told him what I did, plus I didn't flush complete system (from engine)

I'll keep you all updated and this might help few other newbies down the road

·
Registered
114 Posts
Now I have this same problem with the temp guage bumping every now and then to the red. Everything I have read says that if your '91 E30 has a seperate overflow resivore then they automatically burp them selves. Is this true? I have looked for a bleed valve but have not found one. Can someone take a pic of theres so I can find it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts