BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of June, the Welt will be open to all European markets. This will effectively reduce the number of delivery slots available to purchasers from the U.S.

Slots will be assigned on a first come, first served basis, regardless of market. BMW NA is working hard to increase capacity for U.S. customers but the best way to guarantee a slot is by putting your order in well in advance.

The earlier a slot is requested, the greater the likelihood BMW NA can secure it for you.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Thanks for the update. Do non US customers have to pay extra to pick up their car at the Welt ? If so, about how much ?

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the update. Do non US customers have to pay extra to pick up their car at the Welt ? If so, about how much ?
I believe the fee is 540,- ***8364;

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
They just do it for the novelty of it? Do dealerships work the same way in Europe as in the USA?

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They just do it for the novelty of it?
It used to be quite common to go to the factory to pick up your car. BMW hasn´t offered this option in over 12 years. It was quite popular at one point and with the Welt and it´s ,,features``, I´m sure it will be again. You also don´t pay the destination fee so it´s close to a wash in cost plus a fun visit to München.

Do dealerships work the same way in Europe as in the USA?
Not sure exactly what you mean here.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
BTW, you should know that BMW AG Charges the same fee to US customers as well. Except the tab is being picked-up bu BMW ED. So be thankful for it while it lasts;)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jonathan:

Still not updates on October deliveries (e.g., the probability of being able to arrange a pick-up on October 2nd)?
Not sure what you are asking :dunno:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Do dealerships work the same way in Europe as in the USA?
I'm not sure either that's why I ask, for some reason I had an idea that the whole car buying process over there was quite different.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Because of uncertainty about the 2009 3-series models (particularly when they'll begin production), dealers are being told that they cannot order for delivery or inquire about dates in October until the July-August timeframe. I'm just wondering if there are any whispers about MY2009 production, etc., that would assuage my anxiety. I can only arrange a European trip during the first two weeks of October, but if I have no assurance of receiving a vehicle, I cannot even book a flight with non-refundable tickets. Waiting until August to book flights could prove problematic. You see my dilemma...

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
Because of uncertainty about the 2009 3-series models (particularly when they'll begin production), dealers are being told that they cannot order for delivery or inquire about dates in October until the July-August timeframe. I'm just wondering if there are any whispers about MY2009 production, etc., that would assuage my anxiety. I can only arrange a European trip during the first two weeks of October, but if I have no assurance of receiving a vehicle, I cannot even book a flight with non-refundable tickets. Waiting until August to book flights could prove problematic. You see my dilemma...
Or do what I did and reserve a spot for the last days in September then attempt to change your pickup date before your car goes into production. At least you are in the system then!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have picked 3 dates -- Sept 30, Oct 1 and Oct 2nd.

The ED Department said that they saw no problem with the dates, but of course could not confirm the date until July -- I am in the same boat -- can't make arrangement till that time.

I put in my order in April, so I hope the first-come first serve applies even though they cannot confirm my date. :mad:

·
I need more coffee!
477 Posts
One option to consider - the Lufthansa 2-4-1 deal allows you to "reserve" a flight without financial commitment and also allows changes if needs be (I think our flight plans changed 4 times between the initial reservation and the final ticket issue time). This way you can have a flight lined up with an expected delivery date, but if that date changes you're not out anything.

Food for thought....

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
BTW, you should know that BMW AG Charges the same fee to US customers as well. Except the tab is being picked-up bu BMW ED. So be thankful for it while it lasts;)
Mercedes of course waives the U.S. delivery fee entirely for their ED customers. Of course their ED percentage savings is more difficult to negotiate so again it is a wash.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Mercedes of course waives the U.S. delivery fee entirely for their ED customers. Of course their ED percentage savings is more difficult to negotiate so again it is a wash.
And it's a Mercedes :snooze:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Well, the flight prices to tend to go up over time (nothing goes down these days). I think my tickets went up ~$100 from rebooking several times (and some days to get booked up). Still, its a nice option

One option to consider - the Lufthansa 2-4-1 deal allows you to "reserve" a flight without financial commitment and also allows changes if needs be (I think our flight plans changed 4 times between the initial reservation and the final ticket issue time). This way you can have a flight lined up with an expected delivery date, but if that date changes you're not out anything.

Food for thought....

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
so, opening it up to Germans last October was sort of a trial run before expanding it even further. Interesting.

As of June, the Welt will be open to all European markets. This will effectively reduce the number of delivery slots available to purchasers from the U.S.

Slots will be assigned on a first come, first served basis, regardless of market. BMW NA is working hard to increase capacity for U.S. customers but the best way to guarantee a slot is by putting your order in well in advance.

The earlier a slot is requested, the greater the likelihood BMW NA can secure it for you.

·
I need more coffee!
477 Posts
Well, the flight prices to tend to go up over time (nothing goes down these days). I think my tickets went up ~$100 from rebooking several times (and some days to get booked up). Still, its a nice option
Interesting, but my price never changed from the initial reservation in February to when I actually completed the purchase on April 30th, but that's just my experience. As is the case with so many other things, YMMV:)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is about it - actually it is EUR 457, inkl. 19% MwSt.

(so, no the intro, tours and food is not exactly free).
I couldn't remember if it was 450 or 540 so... but that sounds about right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts