BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new BMW 318se and I want to replace the head unit with the tape deck in it,
with a single CD player, has anyone got plans or pics on how to do this??
Is it just a straight swap??
Any help would be very much appreciated

10,983 Posts
Straight swap.

Pull the right side dash trim out. (A butter knife is good.)
Pull the center dash trim piece.
Unscrew the two screws on the side of the head unit.
Pull.
Reverse to reinstall.

· Registered
2,591 Posts
andyBMW said:
Just bought a new BMW 318se and I want to replace the head unit with the tape deck in it,
with a single CD player, has anyone got plans or pics on how to do this??
Is it just a straight swap??
Any help would be very much appreciated
It's a straight swap, provided you have the code for the new stereo. But you need to check that the socket at the back of the head unit you intend to buy matches the multiway plug from the wiring loom in the car - some UK folks have had problems fitting a newer stereo to an older car. I assume this is a new, pre-owned 318i? Since last year, all new UK-market BMWs have come from the factory with a CD player, and I am pretty sure that the Irish SE spec is the same as that for GB.

10,983 Posts
Unless somethign is different over there, E46 head units don't haev a code.

· Registered
2,591 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Unless somethign is different over there, E46 head units don't haev a code.
You might be right, Nick, I was thinking of the older units in the E36, etc.

If there is no code, though, what is the "anti-theft" aspect of the E46's factory-fitted radio? My own radio was quite happy to be removed and refitted to the same car several times, so I had assumed there there is some form of ID kept in the central body electronics module (or the E46 equivalent) which recognises the radio as being the original, factory-fitted unit.

· Registered
662 Posts
andy_thomas said:
You might be right, Nick, I was thinking of the older units in the E36, etc.

If there is no code, though, what is the "anti-theft" aspect of the E46's factory-fitted radio? My own radio was quite happy to be removed and refitted to the same car several times, so I had assumed there there is some form of ID kept in the central body electronics module (or the E46 equivalent) which recognises the radio as being the original, factory-fitted unit.
IIRC the "code" is the first CD played in the player. i.e. a checksum is generated from the CD and that's stored.

I could be wrong, though... I know Eclipse decks do this so maybe I'm getting things confused.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.