BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Coyote Racing Team
628 Posts
Open the trunk.
Take battery cover off of passenger side rear section.
Remove battery holder bracket.
Disconnect and remove vent hose and old battery.
Reverse steps for installation of new battery.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the auto parts store said that I would have to have a tube connected to release gas pressure and the bmw dealer said it would need electrical work when it's changed. is this all just BS?

·
Coyote Racing Team
628 Posts
The tube or the part to connect to the tube should come with the replacement battery. I replaced mine last year with a Duralast from Autozone. I did not need a radio code or any electrical work to my car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Same as J.Kidd. Just replaced a battery with a Duralast 49DL. No reset or electrical work was necessary other than resetting the clock. No problem with the radio.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just bought the replacement battery and no tube came with it. Also the battery was only $69. It says its a Super Start battery.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
The old battery is a vented-type....it`s possible the new one is a totally sealed, non-vented type....examine it closely to make sure. There should`nt be any electrical complications resulting from a battery change. Always hook up the Positive (+) cable *first*, then the Negative (-) cable.

Regards,
Bob

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Fast Bob said:
Always hook up the Positive (+) cable *first*, then the Negative (-) cable.

Regards,
Bob
Exactly. You may not think this is a big deal. IT IS. Why? If you connect the -ve cable first, then accidentally touch the body of the car with your wrench while tightening the +ve, you'll spot weld the wrench to whatever it touches. Or so I'm told :angel:. I now have a 1/2 inch and a 10mm wrench each dipped in about 10 coats of Plastidip that I use for changing batteries.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, thank you! I read my manual...it said to disconnect the negative cable first when removing the battery and CONNECT the positve cable first when putting the battery back in. But dipping the wrench in plastic is a good idea.

did you just melt down a bunch of plastic to do that?

·
Registered
275 Posts
konrad330xi said:
Same as J.Kidd. Just replaced a battery with a Duralast 49DL. No reset or electrical work was necessary other than resetting the clock. No problem with the radio.
Konrad, I noticed your garage is a 2004 325. Is this the vehicle that you had the battery replaced, and is your car still under warranty (i.e. less than 40K miles)? If so, shouldnt you have gotten a replacement OEM battery under warranty?

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
tiffany_w99 said:
now I'm having a very difficult time getting the bar off the top of the battery. the bolts are on so tight...
Squirt a bit of liquid wrench and let it sit for an hour. Worst case, try WD-40 - it's not really a penetrant, but might work.
Use a small socket if you have one :) .

You go girl (I presume the tiffany bit of tiffany_w99 == the fairer sex). :angel:

·
Registered
107 Posts
JadeWinn said:
Konrad, I noticed your garage is a 2004 325. Is this the vehicle that you had the battery replaced, and is your car still under warranty (i.e. less than 40K miles)? If so, shouldnt you have gotten a replacement OEM battery under warranty?
I'll have to check my garage. No, we replaced the battery in my wife's 2002 325xi, which is out of maintenance (we have an extended warranty). Battery replacement isn't covered.

But for $70, from what I've read, the Duralast is a pretty good investment.

·
Registered
275 Posts
konrad330xi said:
I'll have to check my garage. No, we replaced the battery in my wife's 2002 325xi, which is out of maintenance (we have an extended warranty). Battery replacement isn't covered.

But for $70, from what I've read, the Duralast is a pretty good investment.
Sorry, I meant your "mein auto." I ask b/c I had to have my battery replaced. However since my 325 only had about 3,200 at the time, BMW said it's not covered under warranty. Reason? The battery is dead b/c of lack of driving, so it's not covered. :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes, I'm a girl. :) there's no way i'm paying the bmw dealer $250 to change out my battery! thank you so much for the tip on removing the bolts!!

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
tiffany_w99 said:
did you just melt down a bunch of plastic to do that?
Tiffany - It comes in a can, as a liquid. You just gently dip your tool in, then out, in, then out... Repeat as often as you like. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
57 Posts
J. Kidd said:
The tube or the part to connect to the tube should come with the replacement battery. I replaced mine last year with a Duralast from Autozone. I did not need a radio code or any electrical work to my car.
Did it have a vent

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.