BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea my car started overheating at idle yesterday, so today I warmed up my car and when the temp gauge went past 3/4, I did the rolled up newspaper test which easily stopped the fan. So I'm going to this auto parts store here in town soon to get a new Behr fan clutch and wondering if there is anything else related that I should change while in there? Thanks

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,466 Posts
When is the last time the fan itself was replaced? How about the water pump? Rest of the cooling system?

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
Definitely replace the fan while you're in there. They're relatively cheap compared to the clutch but they can do a lot of damage when they shuck a blade, and eventually they all do that.

·
East Bound And Down
2,852 Posts
check the part numbers but im pretty sure the e30/e36 fan clutch are the same
if so.. i happen to have two perfectly working fan clutches and fans (but as stated above a new fan may be smart) PM me im looking to clean out my garage

·
Somebody stop me....
3,696 Posts
At least replace the actual fan

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,466 Posts
In that case, read the stickies. You're due to replace the entire cooling system (or face certain doom).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok back from store, I got the fan clutch (Behr) and the fan. Thanks for the advice I will have these installed tomoro I hope it's the source of my overheating at idle. I know cooling system is due for upgrade but I work part time ; (

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I'm trippin but it seriously feels like i have to press on the brake harder to stop now since this happened. .

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Told my mechanic about the overheating and the 1st thing he did was pour water in the overflow tank and loosen the bleed screw, a lot of air bubbles came out. He did this several times and said that was the problem. My car was running at idle for a long time and didn't pass the halfway mark on thermostat after he did this, so I happily drove away but noticed it start overheating again. I went back and he said yea do your fan clutch test newspaper thingy so i did it, the fan stopped, and so he started the install. I came back a couple hours later and in a rush to go to work, fan clutch was in but he said it was still overheating and I need a new thermostat. :confused: Any suggestions???

·
WYKDBMR
700 Posts
These are some pretty simple tasks to do yourself (if mechanically inclined)..i went and did the fan clutch, fan, thermostat, thermostat housing and the radiator along with new upper and lower hoses...do you have any milky residue in your oil dipstick or under oil cap? if so then your head gasket may be done...if you did the fan clutch and thermostat you should disconnect your positive (+) cable for a couple of minutes from your battery to reset your computer. worked for me when my old e36 overheated....check your coolant temp sensor as well...best of luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not very mechanically inclined + injured left hand. I have a local friend of the family mechanic who works on Bimmers and gives me very good deals. Like he;s the one who installed the fan and fanclutch for $40. Isn't that about 2.5hrs labor? Anyways, no I don't have any milky residue so I think my head gasket is safe. I am going to pick up the new thermostat and aluminum housing tomoro morning, so what reseting the computer do after the thermostat install? I found a place that has a used water pump with metal impaller for $35 should I have him put that in too while he's doing the thermostat? I also noticed the is about an inch of dried/caked coolant where a waterhose connects to engine.I just looked it up on realoem and that hose starts at my thermostat and goes to left side of engine block. Is that a tell-tale sign of something? And I cannot locate where the coolant temp sensor is! Thanks for the response Hectorml07

·
WYKDBMR
700 Posts
okay i see about the labor part :).....that is not bad for $40. basically after my car overheated, first it was my bottom radiator hose, and after that was fixed it was my temp sensor. there are different sensors the one i replaced was the one that is located on the left side of the airbox looking at the engine bay directly (in front of the car).there are 2 smaller hoses hooked up to it....it broke off and coolant leaked out, my other overheating encounter was when my bottom radiator hose ruptured and again leaked out all the coolant..in both encounters even after i replaced the sensor and hose, when turning on the car the needle would remain on the normal then jump into the red within a matter of seconds...then i just thought that when your battery gets disconnected your whole system gets a sort of resetting including your stereo and whatnot (if you have stock stereo it will get locked upon unhooking your positive cable from battery so make sure you have your manual handy to get the code)...after i unhooked it (for a few min, preferrably 30 min) and hooked it back up everything was looking good and it worked :)...no more overheating...as far as the thermosat i just replaced it since i was already doing the clutch fan and all the other stuff...

when it comes to parts for your car i dont suggest buying used! that is as far as water pumps, fan clutch, sensors...i know the dealer is sometimes the only close place to buy your parts but consider autoparts around your area or online...ask me how i know :)...i suggest you buy new parts and new coolant hoses....if money is an issue buy parts little by little...that is my advice. let us know how your situation unfolds....good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea I'm definitely getting new radiator hoses along with thermostat housing and thermostat. So while I'm buying these parts tomoro morning I want to get the correct sensor you are talking about. It's called the Coolant Temperature Sensor?? That's the one you changed? It's probly about $10 I'm guessing so I want to get it. And is it in a location I can just pop off the old one and put in the new one with no hassle or is it where the mechanic is gonna be down in the thermostat area. Kind of a dumb question but is the thermostat very close to the water pump? Since he's in there you know . . .

·
WYKDBMR
700 Posts
wait hold up, if it isnt broken leave it alone.....the sensor alone is expensive i paid $110 for it since no autoparts had it...only the dealer.....start with the thermostat, housing, hoses....after that is done unhook the battery and hook it back on to see what happens....dont poke at the sensor either since it will break, it is sensitive....the sensor itself is located on the airbox like i mentioned above...one bolt is holding it in place so it is actually bolt on..you would need to unhook the two small coolant lines that run to it and put it on the new one...but again do not change it if it is not broken unless you have money to blow haha...what year is your e36?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whoa all the temp sensors I'm seeing on Pelican parts are about $20. Do you know what that sensor is official called please? I know this local Euro parts place has it. Since I can get it for so cheap, I DO have an extra $20 to blow on a part that is a cheap plastic common fail and can directly cause overheating. Great I will follow those instructions after the install. Thanks. and I have a 1995 325i with 107k. At what miles did yours overheat??

·
WYKDBMR
700 Posts
ohh and my e36 overheated at about 160,xxxishhh since the engine is built up...my car has 297,xxx on the odometer tho.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will inspect those hoses. Bought the thermostat and alumn housing and hose today. All for $65! Have an appt. with mechanic tomoro morning, I really really hope it's the thermostat

1 - 20 of 35 Posts