Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth changing the oil filter maybe a couple of times again during the oil change interval for the N52 engine?

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
No, because some feel the oil change interval is about the same as the oil filter change interval. If one wants to change the oil more often, then also the filter.

One thing would be nice to answer. In some BMWs, the oil filter is near the top of the engine. If you change it first, will lots of oil spill?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was interested in the other way around - Changing the filter frequently since it is cheap and easy to change

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
No, because some feel the oil change interval is about the same as the oil filter change interval. If one wants to change the oil more often, then also the filter.

One thing would be nice to answer. In some BMWs, the oil filter is near the top of the engine. If you change it first, will lots of oil spill?[/QUOTE]

No, most of the oil in the oil filter housing drains back into the pan when the engine is shut off so only the oil trapped in the filter mesh and an ounce or so in the bottom of the housing are what's left. The little bit of oil that doesn't drain is because the filter housing sits at an angle and there's a small pocket that winds up below the return outlet.

Is it worth changing the oil filter maybe a couple of times again during the oil change interval for the N52 engine?
If anything I'd consider the other way around, changing the oil a couple times without changing the filter, since I use fairly short (4K-5K) change intervals. In reality though the filter is the cheapest component of the oil change process and changing it gives you something to do while you wait for the oil to drain.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,426 Posts
The reason for oil changes is exhaustion of the additive package. There are deeper issues if the oil is so trash laden that it needs changing.

OTR tractors have lifetime OCI but monitored for chemistry and finely filtered.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If it gives you peace of mind do it. I personally change my oil every 5k miles so I don't change it in between. If you're really concerned about having clean oil, change the oil not the filter lol you're gonna be cycling used oil through it anyways lol

Sent from my LG-D851 using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts