BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello E60/61'ers. I'm a convert from the E36/7 board. I started my bimmer-lust with an X5, then an M Roaster (which I just sold), and now I've found this!!!

Perhaps I'm misusing the term, but would a 70K mile 2010 535xi Touring with MT and M Sports Package qualify as a "unicorn"?? :D :neener: :beerchug: :roundel:

I've been trolling online car ads for months keeping an eye out for the right wagon, and now I found this on some unsuspecting corner street lot in SLC.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
Grab it quick before it's gone! :drive:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't have posted if it wasn't already on the truck headed to Texas! Loose lips sink ships ;)

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
Good for you! Congratulations! :thumbup:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm giddy waiting for the truck to arrive :drive:

I already have a spreadsheet full of work to do on it. The wheels are pretty chewed up (8jx18 ET20's). I'm going to see if they can be refinished, but if they're too bad I'm looking to go with some staggered 8 or 8.5jx18 up front 9jx18 in the rear. Hard to find the right offset wheels though. Anyone know if these would work with appropriate spacers? I've been searching through threads and if I'm using the 101tires.com tool correctly these might work without even needing spacers.

Front 8.5jx18 ET27 (with a 7.5mm spacer?)
Rear 9jx18 ET29 (with a 10mm spacer?)

M4 wheels:
http://parts.bmwofbridgewater.com/p/BMW__M4/Light-alloy-rim-8-5JX18---ET27/59772190/36102284905.html

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nice find!

Regarding wheels, I've got a set of 8x18 ET14 M5 wheels I'm selling:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/wto/5759562383.html

What I find interesting is that you have ET20's on your E61; looking at your photos, you've got plenty of fender for the ET14's. Yet on my 2010 E60 xDrive, the stock offsets are ET43's and the ET14's stick out too far. The E61's must have different fender or axle locations.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice find!

Regarding wheels, I've got a set of 8x18 ET14 M5 wheels I'm selling:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/wto/5759562383.html

What I find interesting is that you have ET20's on your E61; looking at your photos, you've got plenty of fender for the ET14's. Yet on my 2010 E60 xDrive, the stock offsets are ET43's and the ET14's stick out too far. The E61's must have different fender or axle locations.
Hey Norskie - Good call. I think I have some bad info on my wheels. Just double checked realoem.com and it says mine are ET43's. The truck should be delivering it today or tomorrow and I'll check the stamp on the wheels.

If they'd fit I would be interested in those wheels. I'll PM you if it looks like they're a fit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought myself one of these! Mine's a 2008. Absolutely amazing car.
AND YES. UNICORN!
Took me almost 3 months to find it. I almost settled for a 06 Volvo V70R.

·
Registered
637 Posts
great find, congratulations

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats OtterPop.

And thanks pocholin - I love your setup. Did you ever get an answer on the cross-bars? My Yeti MTB needs a home on the roof of the new wagon.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Congrats OtterPop.

And thanks pocholin - I love your setup. Did you ever get an answer on the cross-bars? My Yeti MTB needs a home on the roof of the new wagon.
Not really, but I did purchase the X5 crossbars and but them down to fit my car.

I but the front one a little too much but it still worked out. The Rola bars are nice, low profile and don't make a lot of noise. If you decide to go this route I can share the dimensions you need to cut them to...the correct dimensions.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not really, but I did purchase the X5 crossbars and but them down to fit my car.

I but the front one a little too much but it still worked out. The Rola bars are nice, low profile and don't make a lot of noise. If you decide to go this route I can share the dimensions you need to cut them to...the correct dimensions.
Awesome, thanks! This one? (linky)

Any issues with sunroof operation? And did you add a bike rack to it?

I have a Thule T2 hitch rack now on my SUV ($400 rack). I'm debating trying to add a hitch to the wagon to keep using my T2, but looks like hitches for the E60/61 are generally 1 1/4" .

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
With my 2006 E61, I bought genuine BMW crossbars from a BMW dealership BillDodgeBMWMaine on ebay, for just a shade more than a Thule generic setup would have cost. Might as well have perfect fit, I figured. Cost $213 in 2012.

But the Thule kayak accessory I have (center uprights, not J hooks) didn't work well. My crossbars were thicker than they planned for - so I had to get longer bolts to secure them to the bar. No other issues though.

My sunroof used to work fine, but eventually jammed. Previous owner had it too many years on a dirt road without keeping the tracks cleaned and greased. Also have the typical sunroof drain flooding to the battery, but so far it's only broken the IBS, no deep floods at the spare tire/electronics area.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Awesome, thanks! This one? (linky)

Any issues with sunroof operation? And did you add a bike rack to it?

I have a Thule T2 hitch rack now on my SUV ($400 rack). I'm debating trying to add a hitch to the wagon to keep using my T2, but looks like hitches for the E60/61 are generally 1 1/4" .
Without the cargo box I can operate the sunroof fine. When the Yakima box is on the cargo latches obstruct the tilt. I have a trailer hitch for my bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
With my 2006 E61, I bought genuine BMW crossbars from a BMW dealership BillDodgeBMWMaine on ebay, for just a shade more than a Thule generic setup would have cost. Might as well have perfect fit, I figured. Cost $213 in 2012.

But the Thule kayak accessory I have (center uprights, not J hooks) didn't work well. My crossbars were thicker than they planned for - so I had to get longer bolts to secure them to the bar. No other issues though.

My sunroof used to work fine, but eventually jammed. Previous owner had it too many years on a dirt road without keeping the tracks cleaned and greased. Also have the typical sunroof drain flooding to the battery, but so far it's only broken the IBS, no deep floods at the spare tire/electronics area.
Sure, the OEM crossbars fit perfect but they very ugly and not aerodynamic friendly, that's why I decided to custom fit a different one, non for cost, I paid $170 for the rola

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yeah, agree there. I can tell from mpg when the racks are on. Moreso when the kayaks are on, but that's to be expected.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts