BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving earlier when I lost steering and the battery light came on. Then my car started overheating so I stopped immediately. Inspected it, saw the serpentine belt off, but further inspection saw the bottom right pulley wobbly. I order the part ($58.71) from the dealer. When I got the car it seemed like it had been sitting for a long time. I want to keep this car running for long time. What are more things I should look at? Any improvements anything really. I'm going to get it tinted and a tune up is in order. Thanks everyone its my first post so yeah.

540i A 2002 M Sport 137k

·
Registered
860 Posts
Check closely, it might not be the pulley, it could be power steering pump itself, check loose/missing bolt or cracked mounting bracket, V8 PS pump is known to have cracking mounting bracket and loose mounting bolts issues, it happened to me and many other forum members.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I did more research, and it looks like I'm replacing the power steering pump now. Will this eventually happen again?
Well, I think V8 alternator has a design flaw on how it is mounted, and has 2 weak mounting bracket ears, so I won't say it won't happen again, but to minimize the possibility, make sure you use loctite on the bolts to prevent bolts backing out, and also tighten the back bolt correctly, there is a stop washer that has to be set for the correct distance before you tighten it. But do check it periodically, like every oil change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks man much appreciated for the info. Am about to this right now, got the pump for $120, but I can't figure out if to use chf 11s or regular PS fluid to refill. The cap on the reservoir says ATF but I have a sport suspension and I've read that CHF is way better for it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At this point I'm not sure where I read it but the autozone and o reilys guys said it used the CHF but now am leaning towards the ATF, what kind though.
Update: Took off drain screw on PS pump the oil is red so am going for ATF. The pump was just hanging, the bracket holding it was broken and I lost a 13mm bolt that held it aswell.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The 2 lower front bolts are the same size so you can take the remaining one to Homedepot to match it up. But since you are there, I would suggest to consider to replace the plastic water pump pulley with URO aluminum water pimp pulley and also check 3 stock idler/tensioner pulleys , the bearings on those pulleys may be shot or on the way out so consider to replace them with Dayco steel pulleys, I think they are all the same size though part numbers are different, and also, replace main serpentine belt and AC belt. Yes, ATF for PS fluid.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
Well, I think V8 alternator has a design flaw on how it is mounted, and has 2 weak mounting bracket ears, so I won't say it won't happen again, but to minimize the possibility, make sure you use loctite on the bolts to prevent bolts backing out, and also tighten the back bolt correctly, there is a stop washer that has to be set for the correct distance before you tighten it. But do check it periodically, like every oil change.
Just to reiterate my earlier comment, I believe my power steering pump cracked because when I did my timing chain guides and removed the pump, I disturbed the knurled wheel that sets its alignment, making it off-axis to the other pulleys. Somewhere there's a DIY explaining how to set it properly. Make sure you do this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I've changed the pump (zero experience) and the car works great. I also got the belt, but did not look into other pulleys. I have to work tomorrow through the weekend and my wallet is not ready for it for other changes. Hopefully after I change the oil and filter then I'll take a look. The PS pump I took off is a Luk is this the original or did someone else already changed this before me. Side note: There was like a chirping coming from the belt?? I can't exactly say where its coming from, but after the car ran idle for like 30 minutes it stopped. I then accelerated a bit and you could hear it chirping again at 2k rpm, so I let it warm up more and took it for a drive. Everything seemed fine except when I'd accelerate the chirping got louder. But now its gone, so should ignore that and move on?

Thanks

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
I'd check the belt carefully while the car is idling. It sounds to me like it could be slightly misaligned and rubbing on the lip of one of the pulleys. Make sure you check the power steering and alternator pulleys carefully to see if the belt is riding up on the edge a little.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.