BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how simple or hard is this??? do i need to take out the panels on the inside of the trunk out or from the outside?

thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
how simple or hard is this??? do i need to take out the panels on the inside of the trunk out or from the outside?

thanks
I just did this today! The bulbs are about $3 for a pack of two (in Canada, anyways) and are a 6418 or C5W.

Insert something flat on the side of the light that has rectangular indent (left side). Try to push it to the right, and lift it out at the same time. It should come out.

When I did mine, it seemed like I was bending the plastic flange around the light, but it didn't break or bend. Once it is out, it is very easy to change the bulb, and then it pops right back in.

Good Luck,
Frank

·
1.888.JLEVISW
3,247 Posts
Cake walk, just use a flat head to pry out the plastic. Bulb slides out and new one slides in. If you want to upgrade your bulbs at the same time, we have our Xenon White LED License Plate Bulbs available as well. These are similar to what you see on the new Lexus IS.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Cake walk, just use a flat head to pry out the plastic. Bulb slides out and new one slides in. If you want to upgrade your bulbs at the same time, we have our Xenon White LED License Plate Bulbs available as well. These are similar to what you see on the new Lexus IS.
You will most definitly damage the paint around the bulb if you do as Jlevi says.

Do as Max_VQ says. He gave you the right instructions.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did this today! The bulbs are about $3 for a pack of two (in Canada, anyways) and are a 6418 or C5W.

Insert something flat on the side of the light that has rectangular indent (left side). Try to push it to the right, and lift it out at the same time. It should come out.

When I did mine, it seemed like I was bending the plastic flange around the light, but it didn't break or bend. Once it is out, it is very easy to change the bulb, and then it pops right back in.

Good Luck,
Frank
hmm, i just tried this and both a piece off the holder thats black..... great not how much would it cost to replace the covers on both of them?

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
You broke it? If you don't push it to the right hard enough, and you try to pry it out before it moved to the right, it will break.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
There is a hinge on one side of the light piece, and a spring on the other side. You put a flathead screw driver in the groove (that’s where the hinge is), and you are pushing against the spring on the other side. Pushing to the side will compress the spring, (which is quite hard) and by pushing enough, you will clear the hinge. At that point you can pull out with your finger or nail the left side (the side of the groove).

Believe it or not... I went to a dealer and they didn't know how to do it. LOL

So I went to another dealer, and the guy there just happened to know, and he did it in 5 seconds. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i tried again, it's either going to be basically breaking the damn thing or messing up the paint......i had one side all the way out but the damn thing still wouldn't come out....

i might just wait to have my bodyshop do it since i need to order a new cover and there gonna install my hid's......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys - MatWiz, your instructions were precise & easy to follow, just went out to my car and it only took a few seconds

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
Isn't it amazing how simple this procedure should be, but how hard it is to do! :) I had to search on how to do it too! Thanks guys.. I'm off to try my luck too. Tired of the stupid bulb message popping up

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Ummm...you can pick up a bulb at just about any car parts store...just get the correct wattage and bulb type (AutoZone, NAPA, Pep Boys, O'Reillys, Advanced)..and you may be able to even find them at Walmart etc.

And the instructions to remove the lens to change the LICENSE PLATE bulbs is as far away as your OWNERS MANUAL....just as the instructions to change all of the bulbs around the exterior of the car are. ;)

TIP: if you are having difficulty getting the lens to move...then lubricate around the lens with WD40 or something similar...dirt/dust/grime can build up around the lens and create a "cement" over time because of the lens' awkward location

1 - 15 of 15 Posts