Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions about changing springs by going with something like Eibach...
Ok... so first, roughly how much is it to install springs?
How much for a decent set?
Whats the measurement for a good drop if you have 19" rims and you dont want any rubbing issues? Nor bottoming out too much?
Does it void BMW warranty?
Does it make the car ride rougher?
Does it sacrifice actual quality of car (ie. the quality of stock springs higher than most aftermarket?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Here is an idea

Instead of permanently screwing up a good car, why don't you get 800 lb of lead plate and place this on the floor under the mats. The car will drop and inch all round and ride very smooth. The car will accelerate like you have 4 large people in it, but the handling will be slightly better because the extra weight is low down.

You think this idea stinks? Surely if you can afford an E90 you have outgrown aspirations for any kind of lawnmower look?
 

·
Cogito, ergo zoom
Joined
·
91 Posts
dynosor said:
You think this idea stinks? Surely if you can afford an E90 you have outgrown aspirations for any kind of lawnmower look?
:rofl:

Surely you do not expect better from someone whose handle is what it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
And then start saving for a matching set of shocks to be installed ... after your first couple of dips at highway speed you're not going to be happy with the ride quality.
 

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
Joined
·
5,886 Posts
BMW spends tons of money and man hours to be "the Ultimate Driving Machine", and then people go and do this to the car.
 

·
Arrive Alive w/ my e92 M3
Joined
·
1,562 Posts
you are looking at $700, thats the price Currys at Centreville qouted me, parts and labor, however that doesnt include shocks, w/c most case you need to.

you definitely will officially destroy your car from stock, but looks good! its your call,
good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
BMW spends tons of money and man hours to be "the Ultimate Driving Machine", and then people go and do this to the car.
Not really so much. They set a compromise target and then try to engineer the damping and spring rates to achieve that. But being a manufacturer with all kinds of customers, they have to strike a lowest common denominator compromise between all the different variables.

If you change the suspension to fit your variables you're not necessarily "ruining" the car. You're just changing the handling characteristics to suit your tastes/needs.

For example, take your car to a track; it's going to wallow around and feel like a wet noodle compared to a purpose built race car. Take that race car on the road and it'll kill your kidneys and rattle your fillings. Maybe you're willing to put up with some rougher ride to get back some of the handling on the track? Did you ruin the car though? Not really.

Is BMW's suspension setup better for everyday driving than an aftermarket suspension supplier's? I'd argue it is; they've got more time and money to set it up.

It just really depends on what your target is. But the point is ... don't buy into the marketing tag line quite so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
PS. I've done suspension swaps on my own, and I've had them done. Most of the time and effort is in compressing the springs to remove them from the strut assembly. Changing out the dampers at the same time shouldn't add anymore to the installation costs (unless you end up doing them later, and then it'll be the same charge as when you did the springs only).

Any decent shop will only charge you 3-4hrs of labor; if they have experience with the e90/the setup is close to the same as the e46 it will only take them 2hrs tops.

It's usually run me about $250-$300; one local shop even does their own corner balancing and alignments (it's a local speedshop that specializes in setting up customer cars, usually Porsches, for track events) and they did coilover install, corner balancing and alignment for $380.

Don't take it to the dealer, you'll be looking at double to triple.
 

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
Joined
·
5,886 Posts
obLu said:
Not really so much. They set a compromise target and then try to engineer the damping and spring rates to achieve that. But being a manufacturer with all kinds of customers, they have to strike a lowest common denominator compromise between all the different variables.

If you change the suspension to fit your variables you're not necessarily "ruining" the car. You're just changing the handling characteristics to suit your tastes/needs.

For example, take your car to a track; it's going to wallow around and feel like a wet noodle compared to a purpose built race car. Take that race car on the road and it'll kill your kidneys and rattle your fillings. Maybe you're willing to put up with some rougher ride to get back some of the handling on the track? Did you ruin the car though? Not really.

Is BMW's suspension setup better for everyday driving than an aftermarket suspension supplier's? I'd argue it is; they've got more time and money to set it up.

It just really depends on what your target is. But the point is ... don't buy into the marketing tag line quite so much.
I not that fn' stupid. I have no problem with suspension changes if done right and if can improve on the factory setup for the track or whatever.

I do have a problem with 19-20 inch bling rims with a car slammed done for looks, and that will most likely "ruin" that expensive BMW suspension.

And yeah for the hundredth time it is your money, screw up your BMW if you want, hell drive the car off a cliff for all I care.
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,687 Posts
Artslinger said:
I do have a problem with 19-20 inch bling rims with a car slammed done for looks, and that will most likely "ruin" that expensive BMW suspension.

And yeah for the hundredth time it is your money, screw up your BMW if you want, hell drive the car off a cliff for all I care.
People are idiots, sometimes, what can you do :dunno:
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,687 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
Nice kind words...I suppose it's better to call people idiots than to be one.:dunno:
Why don't you tell us?
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,687 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
Nice kind words...I suppose it's better to call people idiots than to be one.:dunno:
Oh, and good job taking my post totally out of context.

I suppose that you don't think someone who would drive off a cliff is an idiot (original post I responded to was: "And yeah for the hundredth time it is your money, screw up your BMW if you want, hell drive the car off a cliff for all I care.") and that you think that the post I responded to was "kind words".

But thanks for at least saying I'm not an idiot, I just call people idiots. That clarifies a lot. :rofl:
 

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
Joined
·
7,018 Posts
Jspira said:
Oh, and good job taking my post totally out of context.

I suppose that you don't think someone who would drive off a cliff is an idiot (original post I responded to was: "And yeah for the hundredth time it is your money, screw up your BMW if you want, hell drive the car off a cliff for all I care.") and that you think that the post I responded to was "kind words".

But thanks for at least saying I'm not an idiot, I just call people idiots. That clarifies a lot. :rofl:
:stupid:
 

·
detour in Ingolstadt
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
I will consider aftermarket suspension and springs when the original set wears out...and if I'm going to the track and I want to lower the car .5". The sport package car is already really low so I'm weary about going lower. There are a lot of scrapes underneath and I think I'm pretty careful.

I like the original equipment was expensive and there's no need to "junk" it when the car only has 7000 miles on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
Nice kind words...I suppose it's better to call people idiots than to be one.:dunno:
Marcus, what's up dude? For the past month you have been making negative zings towards JSpira, not really sure what he did to suddenly become a frequent target of yours. Give it up man, its an internet message board.

:dunno:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top