BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this sounds crazy, but I was actually thinking if it's possible to get new wheels for my ZHP...well not right away...but maybe sometime in the future.

To be honest I'm not too hot about styling of the M wheels that come with ZHP. If I had a choice of wheels, it would be the same style as the 330 sports package wheels. I think those are the coolest BMW wheels ever. But are those even available 18"s? Or would changing the wheels on my ZHP be totally pointless and dumb?

·
DHP pwns ZHP :p
7,078 Posts
tehkao said:
I know this sounds crazy, but I was actually thinking if it's possible to get new wheels for my ZHP...well not right away...but maybe sometime in the future.

To be honest I'm not too hot about styling of the M wheels that come with ZHP. If I had a choice of wheels, it would be the same style as the 330 sports package wheels. I think those are the coolest BMW wheels ever. But are those even available 18"s? Or would changing the wheels on my ZHP be totally pointless and dumb?
Why wouldn't it be possible? People change wheels on just about any car. And no it's not that crazy, pointless or dumb... lots of people opt to put different wheels on their cars.

The regular sport package wheels (assuming you mean the Type 68M) only come in 17" size. But they will fit your car just fine since it does not have anything special as far as offset/clearances than any other non-M E46 car.

Search around on the classified sections of the various BMW forums and you're likely to find enough people who may be willing to sell/trade you their Type 68 wheels if you choose to go that route.

·
bmw330pp
1,545 Posts
tehkao said:

I like the look of the m135, not the cleaning. :tsk: Looking into the CSL replica's myself, or any light, easy to clean, affordable wheel.

·
I'm the Moving Chicane
46 Posts
yup, go get the CSL, post pics and let me see how does it look.

I love the 135 wheels. I just had a first wash on my car today. Holy crap. Cleaning them is bad.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
If I were changing my wheels, I'd look for wheels that were lighter... probably BBS.

The 135s are ~25lbs each. My Kosei K1 autocross rims (17x8.5) are under 17lbs. The 68M (330i sport pkg rims) aren't much lighter than the 135s.

·
Better living through ZHP
195 Posts
There's a lot ot be said about going to a lighter wheel. I changed to BBS RK wheels - 17 x 8; the tire/wheel combo I got is about 10 lbs lighter per wheel than stock. It changed how the car handles, lighter and more flickable although part of that is the tires - Yoko AVS ES100. And it looks unique.

Go look at what tirerack has to offer on their web site before you make up your mind.

Attachments

·
ZHPper
2,128 Posts
LouT said:
There's a lot ot be said about going to a lighter wheel. I changed to BBS RK wheels - 17 x 8; the tire/wheel combo I got is about 10 lbs lighter per wheel than stock. It changed how the car handles, lighter and more flickable although part of that is the tires - Yoko AVS ES100. And it looks unique.

Go look at what tirerack has to offer on their web site before you make up your mind.
I've heard this a lot, but I still have my doubts about how taking 10# off a corner on a STREET CAR can affect handling that much. It's all tires IMHO. As for cleaning the M3 style wheels...I've had 3 BMWs with the infamous basket weaves ("The wheels you love to hate") and I'm in heaven now with the ZHP (But those simple 5 spokes on the 318ti Club Sport were super)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I agree with you on the looks of the M68s.

I have BBS RKs on my SVT Cobra and they are also nice. My rear wheel measures 18x10 and weighs 19.5 lbs. By comparison, the original 17x8s weighed in at ~24 lbs.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
tehkao said:

Its possible but you're only allowed to replace ZHP wheels with chrome wheels that spin, its BMW law and a ghetto requirement !

All kidding aside, I like the M135 wheels but they are actually quite heavy and a pain to clean. I do like the style though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts