BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 X3 and my right reverse light has one out but there dosent seem a awy to change the light becasue it is all covered by a plastic panal.
Help Please!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It can be done but it

it can be done but removing the panel and replacing it without breaking any clips and/or ending up with a rattle can be challenging. Let your dealer do it, that way if there are any issues they can get them corrected.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Sounds like he means the back up light vice the Euro rear fog light. What I would like is a better bulb for the back up lights so you can actually see something at night when the car is in reverse. The present system just seems to alert other drivers that you are in reverse. Useless IMHO, except for warning others you are reversing.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Sounds like he means the back up light vice the Euro rear fog light. What I would like is a better bulb for the back up lights so you can actually see something at night when the car is in reverse. The present system just seems to alert other drivers that you are in reverse. Useless IMHO, except for warning others you are reversing.
Yes, but in the same part of the rear cluster that is part of the tailgate/hatch,
so same instructions apply for bulb access.

Funny you should mention about backup lights only being of useful to alert others that you are in R.
Was having this discussion the other day on the highway.
Looking at how car makers today are still trying to outdo each other in rear light cluster design, it is noticeable that the backup light gets relegated in importance.
And there is no consistency in its placement.
Common sense would put it close to the outside, low down, and fairly big.
That's the way it used to be years ago.

The X3's backup light is very poorly located, but if you look at other cars, there are even worse examples, and not too many that are better.
(Looks like the the new 2011 X3 retains the same Chris Bangle legacy?)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Same for the chinzy brake light

The two lower brake lights are probably the smallest I have seen (or at least noticed) in a long long time. Good thing we have the third one.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
The two lower brake lights are probably the smallest I have seen (or at least noticed) in a long long time. Good thing we have the third one.
Strictly speaking, we have 5 brake lights - 3 in normal use, and 2 more under heavy braking
(when the regular tail light is commandeered for use as a brake light at higher intensity).

So under heavy braking, that "small" brake light doubles in size, which conveys a serious message to following vehicles.

For European X3's (and 2007-on N. American ones?) it is implemented differently - the rear "foglight" bulbs do double duty as brake lights under heavy braking.

Looking at the attached picture, you can see that this version would give an even more dramatic warning of heavy braking.

However, European owners might have to deal with replacing bulbs inside the hard to access tailgate panel twice as frequently as N. American owners.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
+1 on your back up light comments! I noticed on the Honda Pilot two nice size back up lights in the rear cluster. The problem is they are pretty well located in the center and not that low. Still, better than the X3 IMHO. I added two halogen lights to my Tahoe bolted under the rear bumper on each side. Great rear viz! They were primarily for hooking up a boat trailer at night but worked beautifully for back up lights too. Can't really do that to the X3 without spoiling the looks (didn't matter on the Tahoe -- it was a truck!).:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts