Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Found the Search Button
2014 i3 BEV
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it appears that my charger cover cap has disappeared overnight. I have the rapid charging setup with the top and bottom ones and I am only missing the top. The price of the rapid vs. non-rapid is literally a $40 difference. Has anyone ever tried just purchasing the 61-13-9-334-719 cap instead of 61-13-9-343-121 and did it fit?

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3
1,430 Posts
So it appears that my charger cover cap has disappeared overnight. I have the rapid charging setup with the top and bottom ones and I am only missing the top. The price of the rapid vs. non-rapid is literally a $40 difference. Has anyone ever tried just purchasing the 61-13-9-334-719 cap instead of 61-13-9-343-121 and did it fit?
Not sure. BMW of Delray Beach shows they have one of the 9-334-719 parts in stock, if they are near to you maybe swing by and take a look at it?

·
Found the Search Button
2014 i3 BEV
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure. BMW of Delray Beach shows they have one of the 9-334-719 parts in stock, if they are near to you maybe swing by and take a look at it?
Wow, that's perfect. They're right down the street. Thanks for checking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an answer.
I bought a ***8216;take away cable***8217; of my own, to use at non-tethered chargers, and on either end are caps... with ties to the plug/sockets.
These are annoying to have dangling from the cable, while trying to coil/uncoil, so I took them off.
Net result is I now have the m&f cover caps in the cupboard.
The validity of them is suspect in my eyes, so they became surplus.
I note that they are great replacement covers for the cars socket, and they have the tail on them to retain them close to the flap.
I figured that maybe one day, some unscrupulous driver may re-appropriate my cover cap(steal), so I have a spare now.
Just a thought. If you have a charger cable, you may have a cap on that. Use that one.

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3
1,430 Posts
A good suggestion, but sadly of little use in the USA. Our chargers all include the "brick" that houses the relays and control circuitry, and plug directly into a wall outlet; not the two-sided cables like many other regions use.

·
Found the Search Button
2014 i3 BEV
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So final verdict: the 9-334-719 part does not fit without modification. BMW Delray was going to sell it to me for $34, I got it online for $12 with free shipping. Being that it wasn't worth the hassle to return it, I decided to try to modify it. It is a soft rubber and can easily be cut with a utility knife. All I had to do was cut this top protrusion off and it now fits nicely in the socket. Problem solved and I didn't pay $45 for it.

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3
1,430 Posts
So final verdict: the 9-334-719 part does not fit without modification. BMW Delray was going to sell it to me for $34, I got it online for $12 with free shipping. Being that it wasn't worth the hassle to return it, I decided to try to modify it. It is a soft rubber and can easily be cut with a utility knife. All I had to do was cut this top protrusion off and it now fits nicely in the socket. Problem solved and I didn't pay $45 for it.
Sweet! Thanks for updating the thread with the results.

·
Found the Search Button
2014 i3 BEV
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m kind of surprised this doesn’t come up more because this is my second i3 where the little tether broke off. At least now there is a less costly (albeit not exactly stock) solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts