Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I spent a few days camping (no trailer this time) and I wanted to charge the phone. Obviously, I turned on the ignition, so the dash lights were on. Initially, I was able to recharge the phone to 50-70%, but after 1-2 days, the dash lights were on for only a couple of minutes and everything was going dark (on the way back I checked the codes and there were some which I cleared and they did not come back).

My question - is there any trick to charge the phone from the car battery while not using the car for a few days?

Thanks!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Easiest and safest option would be for you to buy an extra battery pack to charge your phone without needing a car. Spend 50 bucks and get a big one.

You're opening a can of worms if you want to charge from your car's power source with the car off. You could connect directly into the battery but then you might get an un-metered battery drain error. Same goes if you find a fuse that's always on.

You're also camping. If it's so important to stay connected maybe you should stay at a hotel.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Probably it makes sense to just have a separate battery bank.

I go camping 50-60 nights per year. I know when to stay connected and when to go offline.

Easiest and safest option would be for you to buy an extra battery pack to charge your phone without needing a car. Spend 50 bucks and get a big one.

You're opening a can of worms if you want to charge from your car's power source with the car off. You could connect directly into the battery but then you might get an un-metered battery drain error. Same goes if you find a fuse that's always on.

You're also camping. If it's so important to stay connected maybe you should stay at a hotel.

·
Registered
791 Posts

I have always hated RVs and Camping

I cannot do without a warm soft bed and a full size bathroom :D

·
Registered
287 Posts

I go camping 50-60 nights per year. I know when to stay connected and when to go offline.
50-60 nights per year is pretty impressive. I'll definitely have to put a portion of that in a deferred to do list with the kids. I'm sure there are so many little things to discover throughout the day once you get over that you can't star into a screen.

You can always try some kind of solar charger setup but that depends on your location, patience, and needs.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to spend too much on this solution. This time it was a tent camping first since four years. I just didn't get site big enough for me trailer in Yosemite. When I am with the trailer, charging is not an issue as I have solar and lithium batteries.

50-60 nights per year is pretty impressive. I'll definitely have to put a portion of that in a deferred to do list with the kids. I'm sure there are so many little things to discover throughout the day once you get over that you can't star into a screen.

You can always try some kind of solar charger setup but that depends on your location, patience, and needs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
were you getting the 'increased discharge' message?

After a few charges I would assume that the battery discharge protect circuit started kicking in and prevented the battery from giving up any more juice. Easiest way to overcome would be to start the vehicle while charging the phone.

you could go direct to the battery; but you'd run the risk of discharging beyond its ability to start the vehicle

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,121 Posts
were you getting the 'increased discharge' message?

After a few charges I would assume that the battery discharge protect circuit started kicking in and prevented the battery from giving up any more juice. Easiest way to overcome would be to start the vehicle while charging the phone.

you could go direct to the battery; but you'd run the risk of discharging beyond its ability to start the vehicle
This.

The BMW system will not allow a 'convenience outlet' to remain powered. Once the car 'goes to sleep' they all power down.

As the battery loses charge it will happen more quickly, I think

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No 'increased discharge' message. However, I noticed a couple of unusual codes after:

00A128 - KL15 automatic shutdown due OSFG
00A559 - Terminal 30g f shutdown / KL.30g f shutdown / Terminal 30g f cutoff
00AA11 - Makeup for unkown reason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts