BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

Is this normal?

Car was PERFECT last weekend. But I went to get a used tire because the other one was very bald (front passenger side tire) and when they got done the car seems "off". I JUST had an alignment done and post tire swap my wheel is slightly cocked to the right and the car pulls left. Also, it makes a weird feel at 70-80mph and more. Kind of like if you ever put fix a flat in a tire and didn't drive it right away, make sense? I should note, the other side tire (Michelin PS2) has a slight amount of runout too, but not like this, you can't see daylight at all on that tire.

Anyways, watch the video, is this the cause? (remember, CABs, Control Arms, Struts, strut mounts, the whole smash is all BRAND new)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A6YkmbFrkg&feature=youtu.be

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is why you do not buy used tires.
Yea, well I just dropped over $3500 for my oldest to start college on top of 3 others back to school clothes, registration, and supplies. I ain't in the mood to drop $250 per tire right now. Our family has one income, mine and times are tight like everyone else. Just wondering if the runout is out of spec.

· Professional Amateur
406 Posts
I'm assuming that the wheel is rotating around the center without any wobble. My first guess is the tire is starting to separate. What bothers me is your comment about the wheel being cocked to the right. Are you sure the gorilla who mounted the tire didn't force something??

Hey, I feel your pain I have one in college and a second is starting high school and is in the band.....I feel like an ATM machine most of the time. I'm running my control arms on borrowed time.

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm assuming that the wheel is rotating around the center without any wobble. My first guess is the tire is starting to separate. What bothers me is your comment about the wheel being cocked to the right. Are you sure the gorilla who mounted the tire didn't force something??

Hey, I feel your pain I have one in college and a second is starting high school and is in the band.....I feel like an ATM machine most of the time. I'm running my control arms on borrowed time.
Yea, I watched him install the tire, he didn't force anything. But the quality of the tire is questionable. I buy a lot of tires from these guys, but this time round was pretty bad. I think the cockeyed wheel might be in my head. It is a VERY VERY small amount.

And just think, if I hadn't had to put a kid in college, I'd have a supercharger on my car.........:bawling: (so help me Lord if she doesn't get straight A's. :mad:)

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
^^
Make her buy you a ferrari when she graduates and gets a career. It's only fair.
That's not even close to enough given the 19 years of food, shelter, and stuff we've given her. She would have to buy me an F1 car! But I suppose she is worth it! Now I see why farmers married their daughters off early in the old days, it is MUCH CHEAPER!

Back to the tire, I am just hoping this is the thump I feel cause the car WAS handling and feeling amazing until this.......

· Professional Amateur
406 Posts
Back to the tire, I am just hoping this is the thump I feel cause the car WAS handling and feeling amazing until this.......
Have you tried swapping the tire and wheel with the other side? That would at least narrow the problem down if it moves to the other side.

I had a tire do this on an old Datsun pick up that I drove when I was in college. Eventually the tread pealed off on the freeway. It wasn't fun, so be careful.

My son's favorite line is that I better be nice to him because he's the one who is going to decide what old folks home I'm going to live out my final days in. Kids, you gotta love them.:D

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried swapping the tire and wheel with the other side? That would at least narrow the problem down if it moves to the other side.

I had a tire do this on an old Datsun pick up that I drove when I was in college. Eventually the tread pealed off on the freeway. It wasn't fun, so be careful.

My son's favorite line is that I better be nice to him because he's the one who is going to decide what old folks home I'm going to live out my final days in. Kids, you gotta love them.:D
I would, but the while the PS2 isn't directional, the Kuhmo is. If I swap it around it'll be going against the tread. Isn't that bad? Or is it ok for a test run?

· Professional Amateur
406 Posts
I would, but the while the PS2 isn't directional, the Kuhmo is. If I swap it around it'll be going against the tread. Isn't that bad? Or is it ok for a test run?
I could be wrong (probably) but I always thought the directional tread was designed to enhance the tires performance. So if you run it backwards, you will have less traction and it might make more noise. I can't see how it would hurt to swap the tires to do a test run to see if you have a bad tire. I'd try it, but I do a lot of stupid things that I regret later. (This is where the attorney would insert the disclaimer about me not being liable for you following my advice)

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'd try it, but I do a lot of stupid things that I regret later. (This is where the attorney would insert the disclaimer about me not being liable for you following my advice)
Lol! Its worth a shot.

He has a ZHP, which means if he has a spare, its a donut and real fun to drive on!
Donut, and yea, its worse than the bad tire

· Registered
1,931 Posts
Switch it front to back on the same side. Your'e running a square set up, right? DOing that for a test run won't hurt anything and the Kumho can stay directionally correct.

If the thump leaves the steering wheel, you know that's it.

I have 3mm of rotational run-out on one of my rear tires. The shop that sold it to me says that's ormal, the BMW dealer says that much run-out definitely could cause vibration:dunno:

Having the tires re-mounted and balanced (free) again.

Too bad you don't have my spare...a breand new OE wheel with a brand nes Pirelli 4000 tire. My spare puts my running gear to shame!!!

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE: So I got a set of matched front tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 all season) and the shimmy is gone. However, the shop did show me where my front right rim is bent :mad:. Interesting how some tires mask the bend (which is minor) and others don't. I like the way the car feels on the interstate at high speed with the Goodyears, but low speed noise is AMAZINGLY loud. I thought I had bad wheel bearing, it is annoying. Money doesn't buy happiness, but it would buy quieter tires!

· TheMalibuMafia
13,038 Posts
That's not even close to enough given the 19 years of food, shelter, and stuff we've given her. She would have to buy me an F1 car! But I suppose she is worth it! Now I see why farmers married their daughters off early in the old days, it is MUCH CHEAPER!

:rofl:

Sorry to hear about your tire situation. Hopefully you'll get some good new tires soon. There use to be a guy on here that works for tirerack and was able to get huge discounts. I can't remember his username.... :-\ I remember his car had custom sound system though w/ a BMW emblem painted in the trunk w/ it. And his dad was a cop in vegas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.