BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I DO love the UUC short shift kit, and would gladly pay good money for it, here's a good and cheap alternative...

Courtesy of the great Ron Styger of course, this is the stock shift rod for a Z3 1.9L. It will fit all E36 and E46 manuals. It's about 10% or so longer throw than the UUC unit, but the fact that it's completely BONE STOCK and does not require swapping out any component besides the shift rod makes it very easy to install. I used to drive a Z3 1.9L and I can tell you it has by FAR the best stock shifter throw and feel of any recent BMWs.

If you have the dough I'd still recommend UUC, because it is polished aluminum instead of steel and rubber. but if you're on a budget and want to keep everything BMW, get this instead.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Hey HACK

What's the best option for the M Roadster?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the appropriate thread on the Z Car board

P.S. - My 800th post. Man I'll never get to 1K. :)

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
The HACK said:
It will fit all E36 and E46 manuals.
>>This is a good shift lever for the non M/328 E36's. I have this lever in my 318ti.

For the 323/325 E46's it will work, but a better choice is the shift lever from the 328/330 E46.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Re: Re: Cheap and easy to install short shift kit(m)

Ron Stygar said:

For the 323/325 E46's it will work, but a better choice is the shift lever from the 328/330 E46.

Does it feel better? I had no idea there was a difference.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Cheap and easy to install short shift kit(m)

Mystikal said:

Better throw reduction number and same stock height. Also the bend is closer.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Cheap and easy to install short shift kit(m)

Mystikal said:

As you can see from Ron's pic, the difference is in the distance from the pivot ball to the linkage at the bottom.

This will shorten the throw, but it will also make the shifter rod point downwards from the tranny to the shofter in order to mate with it, which may affect shifting effort. The other thing that might affect shifting effort is the fact that you will be lengthening the sorter end of a lever arm, effectively giving you less leverage. I also don't recall if there is enough clearance down there for the extra 1/2" or so that this will extend. The other thing this realignment will do is make the shifter sit angled further back in the boot than it normally would. Since I've never seen the swap in place, I can't say whether any of the above are significant enough to matter.

Swapping shifters between cars is an old BMW trick that seems to work great in many cases, and not so great in others. I personally like the various benefits that a commercial kit like UUC's provides, so if someone asked me for my opinion, that's what I'd tell em.

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Re: Re: Cheap and easy to install short shift kit(m)

Ron Stygar said:
This is a good shift lever for the non M/328 E36's. I have this lever in my 318ti.

I wonder if it will work with a Euro-spec, '01 320d. No idea if my car shares any transmission parts with the 323.

:dunno:

Patrick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts