BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
le Boss
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that ride motorcycles and are looking for a cheap DIY tailbag, I thought I'd share my solution.

First, I found a decent little duffel bag at Walmart. I then picked up some little bungee-balls and some '*******. All told this cost $15.

I then had the wife sew a peice of fabric across the back. This fabric slides over the passenger backrest and keeps the bag in place.

I then put the '******* through some well placed die down points.

This is what the duffel looks like with these few mods.

I tied knots in the bungee-balls to get the right length and hook them onto the '*******.

Attachments

·
le Boss
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

When I'm ready to put it on the bike I take the bungee-balls off and slid them through the luggage rack openings.

I slide the rear backrest between the bag and added fabric and attach the bungee-balls to the '*******.

And this is what it looks like when it's all attached. All told this takes less than a minute to secure to the bike and it holds a surprissing amount of stuff that can easily be taken into the office, gym, etc.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Attachments

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
That's pretty damn good ingenuity, and it appears to match your bike (and avatar) pretty well. In fact, if you squint, the top pic looks kinda like Optimus. :p

I'm curious if they make a bungee net for that model bike that may fit completely over the top of it, smashing it down more when empty. Oh, and is the bag fairly weather resistant, or are you gonna treat it? Great job, though! Looks great, and probably adds a lot of function to some dead space for you.

·
Happy Trails!
2,893 Posts
That is a nice setup!

I usually just use a waterproof courier bag when I ride to work. If I need more space I can put the side bags on. However when I've travelled, I have a "dive bag" that I bungee to the back for extra space. It's waterproof (natch) but not nearly as trick as your setup. :thumbup:

·
le Boss
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RSPDiver said:
That's pretty damn good ingenuity, and it appears to match your bike (and avatar) pretty well. In fact, if you squint, the top pic looks kinda like Optimus. :p

I'm curious if they make a bungee net for that model bike that may fit completely over the top of it, smashing it down more when empty. Oh, and is the bag fairly weather resistant, or are you gonna treat it? Great job, though! Looks great, and probably adds a lot of function to some dead space for you.
They do make some bungee net's and other things, but the $$$ was too high in my opinion. I new I could make this and that it'd be cheap. I use it as my primary bag because it doesn't look out of place carrying it around to the office or whatnot. My tank bag was a bit of a pain to mount and remove all the time and it was a pain to gas-up, plus it was scratching the crap outta my tank. The bag is weather resistant, but I keep stuff in Ziploc bags if I'm worried about it. And it's really nice because I can just flip the bag around when the wife wants to ride. The bag just sits on the luggage rack and attaches in the same exact manor. :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.