Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never had luck in the past with 100,000 mile headlight restoration. Always seemed like alot of work for little payoff. My dad gave me this headlight kit from turtle wax for christmas. I was bored this morning so I gave it a shot. I actually followed the directions which is odd. Turned out better than expected. Lets see how long it lasts!

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the one in the box. My little brother told me the same thing you just did and said it would last at max 6 months here in FL before they yellowed again. Do you have a clearcoat recommendation?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,466 Posts
There is no UV protecting or blocking ingredient in Turtle Wax T240KT

My dad gave me this headlight kit from turtle wax for christmas.
Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer – Clarifying Compound Product Code (SKU): T240KT-RC (50201), T240KTC-RC (50202), T-240KTS-RC (50204)

Ingredients:
Water. CAS 7732-18-5. >65%
Petroleum Distillates Hydrotreated Light. CAS 64742-47-8 7 – 13%
Glycerin. CAS 56-81-5. 1 – 3%
White Mineral Oil. CAS 8042-47-5. 1 – 3%
Nepheline Syenite. CAS 37244-96-5. 10 – 18% (Abrasive feldspar natural source)

There are two processes involved in headlight lens clouding and yellowing. Clouding is abrasion by air wind blast road trash. Yellowing is UV crosslinking in the polymer surface not blocked by deeper material in the plastic compound itself.

Polishing abrasion smooths the trash abrasion. Polishing removes the yellowed layer and exposes un-yellowed plastic to further UV yellowing.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I used the one in the box. My little brother told me the same thing you just did and said it would last at max 6 months here in FL before they yellowed again. Do you have a clearcoat recommendation?
For the budget minded any rattle can (rust-oleum, dupli-color etc.) is better than nothing. The above referenced product will work very well. Durability is all in the prep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts