BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
That is the indication that the brake pad wear sensors have opened electrically. If they break, tear, or otherwise become loose or disconnected it will trigger that alert so check the lines before replacing the brake pads. There are only two of them with one on the drivers side front and the other being on the passenger side rear (correct me if I'm wrong). If they are intact the brake pads need to be replaced soon.

· Der Ursprüngliche....Albo
1,079 Posts
Like Dr. Zoidberg said...there could be a bad connection on the sensor wire. If it's loose it could have flashed on then off again. Make sure it's secure.

If the sensor were truly tripped, the light would stay on. Did you reuse the old sensors or install new ones? People sometimes reuse and don't realize that the sensor was damaged during removal or reinstallation. This is really a single use item.

· Seek to understand,^Value
25,378 Posts
My leds showed" check brake linings "
There's some good information here:
- How far you can go once the brake wear sensor trips (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to clear the check brake lining warning the right way (1) (2) and how to hardwire the sensor (1) (2)

Since you don't yet know 'why' or even which sensor tripped, you need to perform a visual inspection of (at least) the driver-side front brake pads and the passenger side rear brake pads.

For full details, with gory pictures, see:
- One user's example of a complete brake job with all torque figures, specs, measurements, fluids, decisions, tools, tricks, mistakes, suppliers, costs, etc., that it entails (1)

· Der Ursprüngliche....Albo
1,079 Posts
I did reuse the sensor...

Sent from my MB502 using Bimmer App
Double check for looseness. These are designed to press in ONE time...anymore than that and they don't usualy seat properly. I've made this mistake in the past. :eeps:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.