BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving the X today, and suddenly I got this error "check brake linings".

I was not braking at the time. I was doing around 40km/h (as you can see). Along with the text error, the car now has this red exclamation point icon lit up.

I do not see any difference in pedal feel, brake power, odd smell, vibration, etc.

Can someone please explain what this error means, and for how much more distance I can continue driving (my dealer cannot take me in a one day notice)?

· Registered
758 Posts
Bavarian said:
I was driving the X today, and suddenly I got this error "check brake linings".

I was not braking at the time. I was doing around 40km/h (as you can see). Along with the text error, the car now has this red exclamation point icon lit up.

I do not see any difference in pedal feel, brake power, odd smell, vibration, etc.

Can someone please explain what this error means, and for how much more distance I can continue driving (my dealer cannot take me in a one day notice)?
The warning is just telling you that your pads are wearing thin. There shouldn't be any difference in pedal feel, brake power, odd smell, vibration, etc...or anything abnormal...not unless you continue driving it til the brake linings are completely gone. The distance you can drive depends on how much you use your brake, but I would try to get that taken care of as soon as possible. My guessed is that you probably have about 1mm of lining or less.

· Registered
138 Posts
You need your brake pads changed NOW. I wouldnt drive them until its been at the dealer. Theyll replace the rotors too. I hope you are under the service warranty because, when you go to the dealer youre going to be coming back with a $1000.

· Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vinu_neuro said:
You need your brake pads changed NOW. I wouldnt drive them until its been at the dealer. Theyll replace the rotors too. I hope you are under the service warranty because, when you go to the dealer youre going to be coming back with a $1000.
$1000?!?!?!?! Perhaps in that case I should just buy the parts from them, and have my independent mechanic do the job?

· Registered
138 Posts
Bavarian said:
$1000?!?!?!?! Perhaps in that case I should just buy the parts from them, and have my independent mechanic do the job?
good idea, def go with bmw rotors. I know some people use axxiis or hawk pads. Are you completely sure ur out of the maintence warranty? BMW extended it to 4yr/50k in either 2002 or 2003. Im not completely sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.