BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ayyylmao
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
('98 328is m/t)

I replaced my brake light switch and and the brake light circuit failure message went away, but now my check control is throwing up brake light failure. It also randomly started throwing up tail light failure (all the lights actually work when they're supposed to, though) but that's a whole seperate issue. Also my trunk randomly one day decided it wanted to stop closing? Not sure why. Need to replace the lock components maybe. Not sure as to why it just randomly wouldn't close one day. If anybody has dealt with similar problems they could help me? Or if someone has a blue e36 decklid for sale that would be awesome as well. Thanks.

·
Officially broke
487 Posts
Spray some lube on the back of the lock, you will have to take the back cover off the trunk and you'll have to push the lock out from the back of the trunk

·
Registered
1 Posts
A faulty brake light switch. The market is saturated with cheap Chinese switches that fail. I had an intermittent check control and replaced the switch, worked for 6 months then failed. Brake light was stuck on. Put the original back in and waited for another switch. This one failed in a week, brake light error and when I went to change it it was melted! Spend more and get a real switch.

The tail light warning is a separate issue. Check the contacts on the bulb holders and the light assembly itself. For whatever reason BMW decided to use a thin laminate coating that is questionable at best. I used stabilant 22 to make it all work correctly.

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
Check the wiring in the portion of the harness that runs from the body into the trunk lid. It's an area that get flexed every time the trunk is opened/closed and it's not unusual to get failure of the wiring insulation and shorting. The subsequent power glitches it can cause in the rear of the car can cause a number of faults to be flagged by the Check Control. If that wiring is good, check the point where the main wiring harness exits the rear fire wall of the passenger compartment. That's another area where wire chafing and shorting can show up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts