BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i was driving in my 335XI and realised my turbo was making a rattling noise. And then all of a sudden the engine light came on and the turbo stopped responding.... Yeap my turbo wasnt working. So i stopped the car and restarted it and the engine light and the rattling noise was still there but the turbo was working. Went to mechanic and he was actually leving so he told me to come back on monday but he did a quick chexk and said the rattling noise with the turbo was due to something with the solenoids. Anyone experience this before or have any idea whats happening?

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Hey guys, so i was driving in my 335XI and realised my turbo was making a rattling noise. And then all of a sudden the engine light came on and the turbo stopped responding.... Yeap my turbo wasnt working. So i stopped the car and restarted it and the engine light and the rattling noise was still there but the turbo was working. Went to mechanic and he was actually leving so he told me to come back on monday but he did a quick chexk and said the rattling noise with the turbo was due to something with the solenoids. Anyone experience this before or have any idea whats happening?
Could be waste gate issue, might be. Maybe.

Check stored error codes.....

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,314 Posts
While a code check is the first thing out the gate, BMW's codes relating to the turbos can be less than illuminating in some circumstances. For example, a 30FF (turbo not achieving target boost) code has causes that run from a crack in a $10 vacuum line to a defective turbo.

Your mechanic may be pointing at the vacuum solenoids, a pair of $100 units that control the pressure in the tubing to the turbo actuators. If that's really the problem in this case, you'll be getting out cheaply. Rattling and loss of power are typically symptoms of an actuator failure ($2000 - $4000), but failing vacuum solenoids can cause the issue.

What's he suggesting for a repair cost?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While a code check is the first thing out the gate, BMW's codes relating to the turbos can be less than illuminating in some circumstances. For example, a 30FF (turbo not achieving target boost) code has causes that run from a crack in a $10 vacuum line to a defective turbo.

Your mechanic may be pointing at the vacuum solenoids, a pair of $100 units that control the pressure in the tubing to the turbo actuators. If that's really the problem in this case, you'll be getting out cheaply. Rattling and loss of power are typically symptoms of an actuator failure ($2000 - $4000), but failing vacuum solenoids can cause the issue.

What's he suggesting for a repair cost?
He said i was looking at something between 200 to 300$ hopefully that is the issue..

·
Registered
371 Posts
30ff is a turbo boost fault,,,possible vacuum solenoid,,,,,,,but have him also check the vacuum lines,,,they get old and crack and leak,,,,causing a no boost fault,,,,,I'm just worried about this rattle noise you are hearing,,,,,the rattle noise usually is the turbo waste gate arm rattling also causing a boost fault,,,,,Bmwtechnician.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts