BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hubby of 1, Daddy of 2
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Check engine light AND new iPod install...follow me on this logic

OK - did a new install of my iPod via an Aux interface the other night. Shortly after that (the next afternoon) I began having the CEL come on. I have ALSO had another problem of this crazy little HUMMING sound coming through the speakers that follows the RPMs.

So I was doing reading on both issues not thinking they were related, just occurred at the same time, and it dawned on me that there may be a connection...

Since I do not have a Peake Diag Tool, I am not sure what the code is, but the car seems to be running like a top (98 328i w/ 111k on it!) BUT - there were some things that I read that the CEL can come on for O2 related issues, vacuum related issues and/or electrical issues - more specifically alternator issues. I also read that some of the humming that can be caused (ground loop) can be caused from the grounds of the different electrical equip. not being the same...and some things I read referenced an alternator.

SO - is the iPod connection and the ground loop causing the humming OR is the humming causing the CEL coming on and if I solve one will the other be taken care of?

Your thoughts are appreciated. this is what I am going to do...unhook the AUX adapter and unscrew it from the chasis (one self-tapping screw into the spare tire well) and then see if the CEL goes away. If that does not work for the CEL or the huming, then I am going to get a GLI (Ground Loop Isolator) and see if that solves it.

I'll keep you posted!
Sproles

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
Sproles said:
OK - did a new install of my iPod via an Aux interface the other night. Shortly after that (the next afternoon) I began having the CEL come on. I have ALSO had another problem of this crazy little HUMMING sound coming through the speakers that follows the RPMs.

So I was doing reading on both issues not thinking they were related, just occurred at the same time, and it dawned on me that there may be a connection...

Since I do not have a Peake Diag Tool, I am not sure what the code is, but the car seems to be running like a top (98 328i w/ 111k on it!) BUT - there were some things that I read that the CEL can come on for O2 related issues, vacuum related issues and/or electrical issues - more specifically alternator issues. I also read that some of the humming that can be caused (ground loop) can be caused from the grounds of the different electrical equip. not being the same...and some things I read referenced an alternator.

SO - is the iPod connection and the ground loop causing the humming OR is the humming causing the CEL coming on and if I solve one will the other be taken care of?

Your thoughts are appreciated. this is what I am going to do...unhook the AUX adapter and unscrew it from the chasis (one self-tapping screw into the spare tire well) and then see if the CEL goes away. If that does not work for the CEL or the huming, then I am going to get a GLI (Ground Loop Isolator) and see if that solves it.

I'll keep you posted!
Sproles
David,

What brand of AUX adapter are you using?

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
Your first mistake was buying an iPod!!

we had a similar problem in the office where the ipod was interfering with the CRT monitors. it was causing them to turn purple in the corner (a sign of electromagnetic interference) so they could well be connected.

Try another AUX cable as the one you have may not be insulated properly

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pirate_copy said:
it was causing them to turn purple in the corner (a sign of electromagnetic interference) so they could well be connected.
ive seen ipod connectivity solutions with electromag shielding... dont remember where from though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.