BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
check engine light comes on intermittently. Last night it stalled on my started chugging like it was out of gas, but gas was fine. Did this twice and did get it home. :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
As as probably been answered on this board a million times you need to get the error codes read. They will tell you which of the 100's of possible things that could be wrong is causing the CEL to come on and why the car is running poorly.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,215 Posts
check engine light comes on intermittently. Last night it stalled on my started chugging like it was out of gas, but gas was fine. Did this twice and did get it home. :)
Are you asking what's wrong with it? What codes did you pull?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Take it to Autozone tell them your check engine light is on and they can check the codes for you and than go from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
service engine soon light

That sounds like oxygen sensors need replacing.

Symptoms are spot on.
Thanks he checked the codes and they appeared to be a lean fuel issue. He cleared them and said bring it back in when and if it comes back on. By the way no charge. The light came on again and sorry but it said "service engine soon" and he then read the codes again and the same thing. He said he would need to look at several things so that is the latest. :)

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,997 Posts
Check Engine and Service Engine Soon lights specifically mean there is a problem with the emission system. Oxygen sensor and lean fuel could both cause those kinds of problems.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
That sounds like oxygen sensors need replacing.

Symptoms are spot on.
I dunno about that, I have never seen an 02 sensor so bad off it caused "chug a lugging". I have seen many a dying fuel pump cause that, dead coil packs, bad injector, bad cam sensor, bad crank sensor etc. Without the codes, we are all peeing in the wind. :dunno:

·
BMW Nuthead
2,388 Posts
lean typically means vacuum leak, smoke test and find the leak..those are symptoms of poor crank case pressure...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Can test the pressure with a plastic freezer bag, warm the engine 10 mins or so, screw off the oil cap, place bag over the opening creating a seal, if it gets sucked in you have a vacuum leak, if it just holds sealed no leak.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
how about Vanos problem?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Thanks he checked the codes and they appeared to be a lean fuel issue. He cleared them and said bring it back in when and if it comes back on. By the way no charge. The light came on again and sorry but it said "service engine soon" and he then read the codes again and the same thing. He said he would need to look at several things so that is the latest. :)
A lean fuel issue often points to a vacuum leak causing unmetered air to enter the engine (for V8's it also can be the MAF). On the E46 it is common to develop a hard to see crack in the hose/pipe running from the MAF to the intake manifold.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Take it to Autozone tell them your check engine light is on and they can check the codes for you and than go from there.
Talked to a buddy who worked for AUTOZONE, he said, "BMW wrote a lawsuit letter about pulling codes. BMW is losing business and ordered,... asked,... Autozone to cease pulling codes.."

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's BS anyone can buy a non BMW made scanner and pull the codes. They would have to go after the manufacturers of the scanners to stop it.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
That's BS anyone can buy a non BMW made scanner and pull the codes. They would have to go after the manufacturers of the scanners to stop it.
Go to Advance Auto Parts then, they pull codes in my town. And OBD2 codes are UNIVERSAL so there is no way BMW is suing anybody over this. If they really wanted to stop it, they would simply stop equipping cars with the OBD port.

·
BMW Nuthead
2,388 Posts
OBD 2 is a generic form of codes for all cars like smolck said, BMW has a special underlying codes that can't be picked up by anything other than GT1 or Autologic that actually has bi-lateral communication with the DME and all modules. But reading codes, any cheap scan tool can do "reading into" them though is a whole other ball game.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts