BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been beaten to death. Just real quick though: if a loose gas cap is not the cause, would I notice anything if something else went bad (sensor etc.). I mean would I notice it in driving or would I smell/hear anything?

If not, I'll need to have it looked at again :mad: Just had the waterpump replaced.

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,806 Posts
I kept getting the check engine light and the dealer said that it was the gas cap, but after several trips, he replaced a pump in the gas tank and it solved the problem. There were no other symptoms. Maybe if you get the codes pulled they will help.

Ken

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
khammack said:
I kept getting the check engine light and the dealer said that it was the gas cap, but after several trips, he replaced a pump in the gas tank and it solved the problem. There were no other symptoms. Maybe if you get the codes pulled they will help.

Ken
Hmm, maybe that could be it because for some reason I don't think it has anything to do with the engine. Normally when I screw up the gas cap, it takes about a week to reset (with the amount I'm driving). Now it has been over a week... If not out be next week, I'll have the codes pulled.

Thx!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Smell, hear, feel, see, taste anything? That depends on the nature of the fault. Cam sensors, fuel filters, etc. cause poor engine performance. Other things can need attention and not put out any clues that you can detect.

Don't mean to beat the standard answer to death but have the codes read. The CEL generates a lot of speculation. Most of the time it is a DIY or simple fix. I found that knowing what codes triggered the CEL puts my mind at ease.

Go to Autozone (maybe other stores) and have the codes read for free. Or, buy a Peake Research Code Reader/Reset tool for under $140 from bimmerzone. If you perform your own oil service and inspections it will reset those lights.

·
Registered
46 Posts
for me it was the secondary air pump. i took it out and cleaned it via, using the shop vac to suck out any dirt, etc. (there seems to be no way to replace the filter on there, it only runs for the first few seconds at startup, to supposedly reduce emissions)
but after that, i unhooked the negative battery cable for 15 minutes (to reset light)
and i have been light free for 2 weeks.
this may not be your problem, but it may be worth investigating, as it cost me zero$

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The codes indicated a leak. So, either gas cap or a hose orso. I will see if the light comes on again now. Most likely it will...

I feel like it's the gas gap. Leaks in the hoses at 59k, isn't that a little early?

·
Old Timer
751 Posts
I've had this same exact problem since I bought the 97 M3/4 at 66k miles. I just reset the damn light ever week or 2. Its annoying tho. I know its considered a minor leak but it doesn't disrupt any systems. The car is at 116k now with no problems. I say its the 2ndary pump, wherever that is. Please elaborate. Let me know if you need help taking it out Bruno. I'm always here to help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just went through this myself. According to the dealer it was a loose hose at the intake. You might just want to check those connections. I installed a Conforti CAI and I may have loosened one up by accident.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts