BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I'm trying to eek out the best gas mileage I coast down hills. Sometimes when I do this the check engine light comes on. Is this just because the car is moving without the gas being applied or something? Or might there actually be something wrong?

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Sometimes when I'm trying to eek out the best gas mileage I coast down hills. Sometimes when I do this the check engine light comes on. Is this just because the car is moving without the gas being applied or something? Or might there actually be something wrong?
A check engine light pertains to an emissions related problem. It comes on when the emissions exceed 1.5 times the legal limit. I would get it checked out.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
On the display whats the OBC readout say?
have you closed the fuel cap totally?

my check light comes on, no water in washer reservoir....has a leak.
The washer fluid reservoir will not trip a CEL.

·
Registered
197 Posts
O2 sensor...?

Yes my litle light on the dash says check, so I then look down to read the obc display by pressing check button and
> _______________________ <
looks like that untill I press the check button and then the display says ....wait......low washer reservoir. Or words to that nature if I haven't quoted it word 4 word.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
O2 sensor...?

Yes my litle light on the dash says check, so I then look down to read the obc display by pressing check button and
> _______________________ <
looks like that untill I press the check button and then the display says ....wait......low washer reservoir. Or words to that nature if I haven't quoted it word 4 word.
I understand what you are saying. But the little message on the OBC is different than having a check engine light. A check engine light is not on the OBC, but is elsewhere on you instument cluster. It will either say Service Engine Soon, or Check Engine. The engine light is related to an emissions problem, so yes, an o2 sensor would trip it.

Edit: My bad bro. My dislexia got the better of me tonight. I see you never said check engine light, you said "Check light". Sorry about that, I need to learn how to read. Again, my bad, sorry bro.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My washer fluid has been low for awhile but I added more today...you don't think that's what made the light come on though?

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
My washer fluid has been low for awhile but I added more today...you don't think that's what made the light come on though?
The check engine light? The little yellow light in the corner of the dash? No, there is no way washer fluid has anything to do with that. Like I said, that is for emissions related problems, like o2 sensors, misfires, cat efficiency, etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's in the exact center of my dash...maybe it's not a check engine light? looks like this i think (!)

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
That's not a cel. On the e36, I believe the CEL is located in the lower right hand corner and looks like a motor or a transmission. Not sure what the "!" means. It could just be an OBC indicator like previously mentioned. If it is, then they usually give messages like, "check brake linings," or "check coolant level," etc. So, you need to find out what the ! means. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but hey, at leas its not a cel.

I just found out what the ! means. It's related to your brakes, so check the level of the master cylinder.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
how exactly do I do that?
Well, I also read a post saying it was a problem with your transmission, but I also read that it was brake related. But you might as well check the level of your brake fluid because it doesn't cost anything but a few minutes. I know the master cylinder is on the drivers side mounted on the firewall. It is a plastic container that holds you brake fluid. Not sure if it is exposed or not on the e36. Like mine for example, I have to remove the cabin microfilter first, not sure if you have that or not.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok...my owner's manual said that that light comes on when my gearbox has malfunctioned...is it possible that coasting for extended periods of time without pressing the gas fools the car into thinking that something is wrong with the gearbox? Because as soon as I press the gas the light turns off...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.