BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving along today and check engine light came on. This happened recently about 4-5 months ago, and nothing seemed to actually be wrong.. just a routine maintenance sort of thing. Turned the light off through directions given by someone on this site. Now I'm just wondering if this is something that should be a true concern. Nothing seems to be wrong, nothing funny in the last few weeks that I can recall. I'm getting it checked tomorrow, just interested if anyone has a similar story that may be helpful!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I haven't had this happen in my bimmer yet but I bought a OBDII code reader years ago. It is a cheapie from Harbor Freight. I think I paid $40. It will also turn codes off. The last time I used it the problem was my wife hadn't put the gas cap on well. These simple readers work on all cars sold recently in the U. S. and are worth having IMHO.

Jim

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
A cheap OBD II scan tool won't work on a '93. A Peak Research R5 tool will work on a '93.

http://www.peakeresearch.com/fcx3.htm

Clearing fault codes without knowing what caused them is not a good idea.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
...Clearing fault codes without knowing what caused them is not a good idea.
+1

The fault triggering the light may be something minor but the code could also help you identify a component that is failing. If you ignore the problem it could lead to more serious damage.

eg - O2 sensors going bad - you ignore it, the car runs rich and destroys your cats = $$$ repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about running into a check coolant warning? It's happened many times, I've checked it several times... seems to be fine. This, and a brake light fail warning are the only other warnings I've seen since owning the car. I haven't seen a brake light fail in a few months though.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Check coolant could be a faulty sensor. I think its in the cap on your car. Intermittent Brake light warning could be a corroded socket or connector.

·
Instructor of the Stig™
7,237 Posts
Can't go wrong with PEAKE!

Manufactured specifically for BMWs, Peake scan/reset tools make servicing your BMW cheaper and easier than ever.

The tool easily connects to your diagnostic port in the engine bay and allows you to read any codes for a check engine light as well reset your oil service and inspection light with the push of a button.

This tool is a must for the first time do-it-yourself mechanic and to complete any tool box.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts