BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Check engine light

971 8
I recently had my new to me 2003 bmw serviced due to a check engine light. We replaced a few ignition coils, new spark plugs, new vaccum line and new air pump.

The engine light came right back on after I stopped for gas after leaving the shop. They're closed yesterday and today so I can't bring it back in right away.

I drove it to work yesterday and seemed fine. After it sat for 10 hours when I went to drive home it sputtered a bit. I turned it off and on 3 times and went on my way and it wouldn't go faster than 20 for about a minute.

Did they screw something up or is my car just adjusting to the new parts?

It's a 2003 325xi

**Edit** I used a cheap eBay OBD scanner and no codes were detected.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Hard to say without the diagnostic codes. I would take it back and have them check for hidden codes.

Tim
You need to get the codes scanned, write down the results (i.e., code numbers, like "P0123"), and post them here. Most well-stocked auto parts stores will do this for free....
D'Oh!

Thanks, I'll go back and edit the OP but there are currently no codes showing up on my cheap eBay OBD device. I'll have them look for hidden codes tomorrow, thanks!
It is quite common, after correcting the cause of a CEL, that it will take a number of driving cycles (like maybe 3 or 4, with a duration of 15 or more miles), before that light goes away for good.
Thanks, I'll go back and edit the OP but there are currently no codes showing up on my cheap eBay OBD device. I'll have them look for hidden codes tomorrow, thanks!
Thanks! I kinda knew this but I'm also a worrier. I do live in a big city though so 15 mile drives are incredibly rare for me. Do you think that'll be a problem?
It is quite common, after correcting the cause of a CEL, that it will take a number of driving cycles (like maybe 3 or 4, with a duration of 15 or more miles), before that light goes away for good.
From the parts I'd guess you had some misfires but...what were the original codes that required the service?
Get OBDFusion for your smartphone or tablet. It comes in both iOS and android flavors. iOS uses a wifi adapter while android uses Bluetooth. The adapter plugs into the obd2 port under the dash. Buy a Veepeek adapter from Amazon, making sure it sez "fulfilled and shipped by Amazon."

Go to E46Fanatics and look for posts on OBDFusion with entries by jfoj. He's the resident guru on OBDFusion.
1st step is to take it back to the shop that did the original repairs and give them a chance to double check to make sure it's not something they did.

Not going over 20 mph sounds like an electronic throttle issue thus going into limp in (safety) mode.

Hopefully something did not get plugged back in all the way
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.