BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
<-NIKi
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my check engine light popped on today right before I got home. I've seen how to do this trick before but never had to because I had a 96. However, now that I can actually do it, I can't find a thread telling me how. I know it's something about pressing the gas pedal 5 times or something.

Could someone please give me a step to step on how to do it??

Thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I know I seen it somewhere on bimmerforums, but my work computer doesn't allow me to access bimmerforums, so I can't help you, otherwise I would go find it.

Good luck!

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
From what I remember, put the key in Pos II, and rapidly press the gas pedal 100% of the way down and let it come up 100% of the way up 5 times in like 5 seconds or something.

·
Tyler's Paw Paw
942 Posts
Chad is correct. Turn your key so that all of your dash lights are on but the car isn't running. Depress the gas pedal five times. Your CEL will turn off, then blink a sequence of four digits .... for instance, pause - flash - pause - flash flash - pause - flash flash - pause - flash ... which is 1221, or the code for your O2 sensor (I'll bet that's what it is).

You can find a list of the codes in various places on the internet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My check engine light just came on too, I just did this trick on my '98 328i and got 1421/1423 and I couldnt find out what these are other than a few things about air pumps or something, its going to the dealer in the morning, hopefully it doesnt cost too much.

·
Tyler's Paw Paw
942 Posts
From what I can tell, the O2 sensor code is the most common of codes thrown by the CEL (at least in my car and from what I've read here), and it does reset itself. If the car runs rich or lean for whatever reason the CEL lights up, but if your car corrects itself - burps, basically - the light goes off.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I cant get the pedal trick to work....I've only tried like 500 times :)
No major drama no problems so I don't need to, just wanted to see if it could be done.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I tried this on my 95 318is and it did nothing. The check engine light comes on and off but doesn't stay on. Could that be the reason it's not working? Also there is a bolt under my brake pedal that keeps it from going al the way to the floor but I assumed that was normal. No?

My car was made in April of 1995. Maybe doesn't work on this year?

Thanks a lot!

~Riley

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
April 95 is OBDI, the pedal trick will work when you get it right. It's called a trick for a reason. :rofl:

The bolt is just the normal stop for the pedal so you don't press it through the floorboard.

·
Registered
481 Posts
thanks.
I think I'm doing it right but I could be wrong... here's what I'm doing.

get in, close the door.
put in key and turn to the point where all the lights come on.
quickly afterwards press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
wait and watch CEL...
it just stays on like it would if I hadn't done the pedal....
:(

·
Registered
45 Posts
make sure you are getting the pedal all the way to the floor and all the way back up before pressing down again.

·
Can I Scream?
364 Posts
It takes a couple times to get it right, but once you do it's cake. Even if your check engine light is no longer on, the computer still stores all of the codes until they're cleared so you'll be able to view them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts