1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
The same direction as the old one.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Black side towards the intake, white side towards the electric valve.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hose was broken on both sides of the check valve, and I wasn't sure which end it was and what direction that it was installed. I DID pay attention to the direction, but I'm concerned that I might have somehow gotten it backwards.

·
Registered
15,210 Posts
Easy trick: Engine is always dirty, thus "Black" toward engine LOL.
That is how I remember it.

Or blow through it, it only blows one way.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neither side is really the engine. One side is intake, the other is exhaust. And there is no electrical connection to the exhaust side valve

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
If everything is working, the SAP monitor will be ready two minutes after the first cold start. No reset needed.

The check valve is there to retain a vacuum in the SAP valve tubing, even if the intake manifold vacuum is lost. It's a bit overkill -- who goes WOT during warm-up? And for the few that do, do you really want the exhaust valve open during that time?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems that a few people feel the same way. I wish the ecm felt that way, LOL

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Neither side is really the engine. One side is intake, the other is exhaust. And there is no electrical connection to the exhaust side valve

There is an electric valve in between the one way valve (non-return valve) and the secondary air pump check valve.
You sure that you have the vacuum lines connected correctly on the electric valve?
The electric valve #5 in this diagram is reversed from how it actually sits behind the intake manifold,
but the vacuum hose connection points to the valve are correctly shown.
If functioning correctly during the SAP (secondary air pump) operation at cold start 70-90 seconds,
there should be approximately 15" hg of vacuum at the air pump check valve end of the vacuum line.
That electric valve opens up triggered by the ECU and allows vacuum to the secondary air check valve at the exhaust manifold,
and thus opens that valve and allows the SAP air pump to add the extra air into the exhaust to heat the cats during a cold start warm up.
blower installation 528icdr.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, I can't even find that electric piece. Ugh. The diagram is helping a lot, thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for I do think that I have some vacuum hoses out of place

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Where is this electric valve located?

In a ridiculously inaccessible spot at the back of the intake manifold.

I would advise you to take off the cabin air filters, cabin air intake air
ducts and the engine beauty covers to get good access to it.

A telescoping shop mirror helps to see it, but don't try to remove it
unless you have a new one to replace it with. I guarantee that you will break
the tab that holds it on the bracket. I have taken 2 out, 1 in a junk yard when
removing a complete 2000 528i wire loom and the other time on my car.

I know how to do it now without breaking the tab but its a real neat trick.

Just get some vacuum hose BMW part #11727545323 and get the lines connected
correctly and go from there, you don't have to take the valve out to do this.

You will be doing it blindly though unless you have someone to hold the mirror for you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I absolutely did not remove that electric valve, I use my thumbnail to scratch off the old hardened hose, and blindly installed the new ones. As I was trying to take the valve off, I was thinking the same thing, this brittle clip is going to break. So I didn't

1 - 20 of 28 Posts