BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've got a F31 335D that had water / flood damage. Unfortunately someone's already tried to fix it before me and there're lots of areas it looks like they've had a go at.
Here are the areas I've found that they've definitely been in, so if relevant I've have checked and replaced any fuses etc.
  • Gearbox lock was in on, to keep it in neutral - Now unlocked;
  • Flat battery - Now charged;
  • Front left footwell wiring and fuses detached - Fuses checked and wiring out back;
  • Rear right fuse panel near battery damaged - Fuses checked and none missing or damaged;
  • Rear fuse panel under boot floor - Fuses checked and none missing or damaged;
  • Telematics module totally removed and wires cut - Wires taped to ensure not touching but this shouldn't prevent starting anyway;
  • Engine still not starting. Earths / grounds checked and Starter motor replaced with a known working one.
Any ideas what I should check next please?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 110K miles NOKIAN WR G3 25K miles
21,483 Posts
You are trying to start a motor that may have been hydrolocked. The only verifcation now is of the effect of hydrolock, check piston top height, pull the head if you must.

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,305 Posts
Don’t pull the head.
Remove the plugs, put a socket on the bolt that holds the front crankshaft pulley in place and try to turn the engine with breaker bar, Turn pulley CW looking rearward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don’t pull the head.
Remove the plugs, put a socket on the bolt that holds the front crankshaft pulley in place and try to turn the engine with breaker bar, Turn pulley CW looking rearward.
Thanks. Hence my question about the injectors as it's a diesel. Guessing quite a lot at the front needs to come off for that as there's no space between the front of the engine and the radiator etc.

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,305 Posts
Ok I missed the diesel part that was obvious. I don’t think I would remove the injectors it’s too much work but that is an option. There are so many things that can prevent starter engagement on these cars, that I’d put want to turn engine over by hand before investing a lot of time. If the flex plate can be accessed, a pry bar on the ring gear will let you turn over the engine. If you have easy access to the starter there should be a small gage wire going to the starter solenoid. Check the wiring diagram to be sure but if it’s like the gas N52 engines putting 12v on this terminal will engage the starter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again. I actually left the starter connected but removed it from the gearbox and put an earth cable from it, back to the gearbox and it spun up nicely, so I do think we're talking engine side, not starter-side.

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,305 Posts
......I actually left the starter connected but removed it from the gearbox and put an earth cable from it, back to the gearbox and it spun up nicely, so I do think we're talking engine side, not starter-side.
Ok, well that's not a good sign. Hydrolocking usually results in bent rod(s) making engine difficult if not impossile to turn over with starter even after you remove the trapped water. You might get lucky. Turning engine over by hand is the simplest way to findout if there are internal problems. Let us know what you find.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts