Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how low my oil level is from the below pic?

I checked the oil level today after approx. 6000 miles and can see that it's between Full (MAX)& Add (MIN), but it doesn't tell me how much below MAX.? Can I assume this is about a 1/2 quart/ or 1/2 liter below full?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
For the V8's, assume it's two liters between MIN and MAX. There was a BMW service bulletin out saying if the oil level is below MIN on V8's, add two liters or quarts.

For four and six cylinder engines, assume that the difference between MIN and MAX is one liter or one quart. But that's not necessarily to be trusted. The last time I changed oil, my indicator was right at MIN. But, I drained out about 5850ml of oil from a 6500mil capacity oil pan. So, adding a liter would have put me over 6500ml. My previous BMW had both a dipstick and an a low-oil warning (but not a oil level display). When the car got old, it would give low-oil warnings when it was just a half-liter below MAX.

I'm not going to add oil until I see the indicator one level (~250ml) below MIN, and then I'm only going to add one-half liter. Since the capacity is 6.5 liters, I have a half-liter sitting around.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Can anyone tell me how low my oil level is from the below pic?

I checked the oil level today after approx. 6000 miles and can see that it's between Full (MAX)& Add (MIN), but it doesn't tell me how much below MAX.? Can I assume this is about a 1/2 quart/ or 1/2 liter below full?

Looks like your about at 1/2 between MAX & MIN. See the oil level measurement info from CIC/NBT screen and BMW TIS below to determine approx how much oil you would need to add to bring the level back up to MAX:

-

Attachments

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like your about at 1/2 between MAX & MIN. See the oil level measurement info from CIC/NBT screen and BMW TIS below to determine approx how much oil you would need to add to bring the level back up to MAX:

-
@QSilver7....good info here! I looked everywhere except the NEWTIS site. Thanks for this info. I only wished BMW would publish this in Owners manual or on the IDrive some where.

BTW, I can not find this chart on the NEWTIS site. can you post the link?

·
Registered
12,219 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts